Chapter 17: The Note within the Flowers

"Mr. Nan..."

Just as Nan Yi had settled down, the butler, who had just gone upstairs, returned.

Nan Yi looked up subtly.

"This note..." the butler hesitated, "Do you still need it?"

Nan Yi was puzzled. It was a small, rectangular note that appeared to be from within the bouquet. However, he hadn't seen it before.

He Yushen inquired, "What note?"

The petite pink note hadn't even reached Nan Yi when He Yushen swiftly took it.

Nan Yi had no idea what was written on it.

Clearly, it wasn't anything pleasant.

The ambiance around them grew icily cold, making the early autumn weather feel downright freezing to Nan Yi.

The alpha's expression turned frigid. When his gaze met Nan Yi's, there was no warmth left in his eyes.

It was the calm before the storm.

Nan Yi extended his hand, attempting to retrieve the note from the stoic-faced He Yushen.

"Dr. Bai! I admire you!"

The voice, colder than the surrounding air, resembled an enraged lion, suppressing its imminent outburst of fury.

Nan Yi's outstretched hand froze, his disbelief evident.

He hadn't instructed the young flower seller to write that message, nor did he have any feelings of admiration for Dr. Bai.

He had merely typed a request for a bouquet to be sent to Dr. Bai.

No, that's not right! The young girl had mentioned something about admiration, but he hadn't heard clearly and had just nodded in response.

"Nan Yi, do you think I'm easily fooled?" The angered lion-like man's forehead veins throbbed prominently, his dark eyes appearing menacingly intimidating.

Song Jing, who had remained silent all this while, showed a hint of delight in his eyes.

"What? These flowers from Mr. Nan... are they a declaration of love?"

No!
Nan Yi vigorously shook his head, resembling a rattle drum.

The living room began to fill with a peppermint-scented oppressive pheromone. Despite its fresh and elegant aroma, it was alarmingly unsettling.

Those hawk-like fierce eyes were still firmly fixed on him. Nan Yi knew too well the consequences of angering He Yushen.

"Not only are you manipulative, seeking wealth and luxury, but you also spout lies!" The card in He Yushen's hand was crumpled out of shape.

His clenched fist throbbed with visible veins.

In his haste, Nan Yi pulled out his phone, fumbling with the keys and making numerous typos as he attempted to explain.

"You still have the audacity to play with your phone?"

His explanation had almost reached its conclusion when his phone was snatched and shattered upon impact with the floor.

Nan Yi's face paled, and his trembling fingers turned ghostly white.

"Ah."

The voice that emerged was a hoarse and tearing sound.