Chapter 74: You're All I Have

Nan Zhi protested, "Brother! Why did you deceive me and marry He Shao in my stead?"

With a face full of sorrow and a quivering voice, Nan Yi, still immersed in his own grief, was taken aback.

"Ever since we were kids, you've been taking what's mine. But He Shao... he chose me! You can't just steal my life because you're aware of He Shao's background!"

"You're my older brother, yet you deceived me, all for wealth and prestige!"

Nan Yi: !!!

Incredulously, Nan Yi stared at the face on the bed – a face so similar to his own – and said, "What are you talking about?"

"Brother, did you bank on the fact that since you're carrying his child, He Shao wouldn't dare to drive you away, making you so audacious?"

"Or did you think I wouldn't have the heart to expose you?" Nan Zhi's voice was shaky, filled with choked emotion.

Given his aggrieved demeanor, if Nan Yi hadn't experienced the marriage substitution firsthand, he might have been fooled by Nan Zhi's act.

He Yu Shen stood emotionless outside the ward.

He had heard every emotionally charged word spoken by Nan Zhi inside the room.

Frowning, Nan Yi coldly glanced at the person on the bed.

"Why are you saying all this? He Yu Shen isn't..."

Before Nan Yi could finish, the door to the ward swung open with a clang.

He Yu Shen, who had been out for half the day, entered the room with breakfast he'd bought.

Nan Yi turned around nervously, realizing why Nan Zhi had suddenly changed his tone.

It was the same old plot twist he always resorted to: shifting blame.

Nan Yi wasn't sure how much He Yu Shen had heard or if there had been any misunderstandings. He wanted to explain.

"He Yu Shen," he called out tentatively.

He Yu Shen stood by the door.

The omega who looked up at him had eyes slightly reddened. The gentle curve of He Yu Shen's lips stiffened for a moment.

He Yu Shen swiftly approached Nan Yi, placing the breakfast he'd bought on a table.

Standing in front of Nan Yi, he gently tousled his hair.

With a touch of concern, he remarked, "Why are your eyes so red?"

Treading carefully, Nan Yi inquired, "Did you hear what Nan Zhi said earlier?"

The corners of He Yu Shen's eyes lifted slightly, realizing that the young one was worried he'd be blamed.

He softly comforted his omega, "I heard everything. But why would I blame you? Why are you beating yourself up?"

"It hurts me to see you upset, and the little omega inside you would feel the same, you know."

Nan Zhi: ???

Without consolation, Nan Yi could bear the injustice. But with the soothing words from his alpha, he suddenly felt more aggrieved.

Even after hearing Nan Zhi's schemes, He Yu Shen's first instinct was to reassure him, to tune into his emotions.

Grief, coupled with gratitude and a sense of redemption, welled up in Nan Yi.

Sincerely, he expressed, "He Yu Shen, you're all I have left."