Chapter 77: The Past of He Zhang Ling Ran

Chapter 77: The Past of He Zhang Ling Ran

The two of them, one on each side, seemed more like they were walking arm in arm than assisting.

After Ling Ran sat down, his gaze never left Nan Yi.

He looked tenderly and affectionately at Nan Yi's slender waist.

"Dad Ling, what happened to your leg?"

Nan Yi initially thought it was rude to ask such a question but found it puzzling.

When he had seen Ling Ran at He Yushen's villa before, Ling Ran's leg seemed fine, but now...

"It's just that when the weather gets cold, my joints ache a bit."

"I used to bear it alone, but since returning, Zhang has been overly protective of me. Now I feel like an invalid. If there's even a slight chill, Zhang won't let me walk by myself."

Such joint pain that one needs a wheelchair?

Even if he's using the wheelchair because of He Zhang's overprotectiveness, the pain that slows his walking can't be overlooked.

Nan Yi thought, Ling Ran's leg pain must be quite severe.

"How many months has it been?" Ling Ran suddenly asked.

He Yushen, who went to fetch fruit, just entered and responded to Ling Ran's question.

"It's been seven months."

"It's almost time then. Bring our little grandson to see me more often," said Ling Ran.

"Dad Ling, aren't you... going to live with us?" Nan Yi asked, puzzled.

"Having you makes Yushen content. Zhang and I missed many years together. Now, I just want to stay by his side," Ling Ran explained gently.

"Someone like him isn't deserving of your company," He Yushen's eyes grew cold, and his tone was full of disdain.

As if the man he spoke of wasn't his own father, but a mere stranger.

Ling Ran's fingertips twitched. Seeing He Yushen's similar demeanor to Zhang when angered, he sighed.

With a deep seriousness, he said, "Yushen, I know you've held resentment towards Zhang and me because of past events."

The piece of apple He Yushen was about to give to Nan Yi hesitated in his hand.

Nan Yi caught a glimpse of his alpha frowning in surprise.

He Yushen continued feeding the apple to Nan Yi, saying calmly, "I don't resent you."

Ling Ran continued, "What happened back then wasn't Zhang's fault."

"I was young then and acted recklessly. Of course, I also blame Zhang for not explaining things to me properly. In short, we both were at fault."

As Nan Yi munched on the apple, he intently listened to Ling Ran, having long been curious about why He Yushen loathed He Zhang.

"The Yunshan whom Zhang married back then, they were merely tools in a marriage forced by their parents."

"Zhang's father, your late grandfather, used you and me as leverage. If Zhang didn't ally with the Yun family through marriage, he would never acknowledge our existence in his lifetime."

He Yushen scoffed dismissively, "That's no reason for him to marry someone else and force you to leave."

"Yushen," Ling Ran said with a hint of helplessness.