42

INDIAN MILITARY BASE

SOUTH SUDAN

It had started raining by the time Kastuki and Atharv had started their journey back to the base and it continued to rain heavily even after 48 hours.

"Captain, we have an alert."

"Where?"

"At St. Augustine High School in Turalei, about thirty students went to take their exam and they have been stuck there along with ten teachers since yesterday. The water level has increased rapidly as it's close to the river and students are on the second floor. They only have another twenty-four hours maximum. The distance from the base to the school alone will take us a complete day." Vanya briefs her.

"That's alright we can be there on time."

"On a normal day. Right now, it will be impossible. Adol to Turalei the flood is relentless."

"Ma'am, there is another alert a fire broke out in a chemical factory near Fabin."

"What about the fire brigade?"

"They are already busy with forest fire; they won't be able to leave but if we do not get there soon the damage is going to be our worst nightmare. There are already five known causalities and the nearby house is a high risk. Police have started the evacuation process but it will take hours before anything gets done and that night be too late."

Everybody was looking at her waiting for her next orders.

"Zaid you will be leading a team of fifteen soldiers five doctors and three nurses to Fabin. Get to the base as soon as possible and fly in a helicopter the rest of the way. You should be there in two to three hours. Start with evacuating the factory and the house near it and send an immediate alert. There is an abandoned school building about fifty kilometres from the factory to establish the base over there. Take a few members of the medical team and leave the rest to set up on the base with two soldiers. Don't go any closer than fifty kilometres that factory is a ticking time bomb."

"Yes, Captain."

"I need one doctor to come with me."

"Captain, are you going to go alone to Turalei," Zaid asks taken aback by her strategy.

"Not exactly. It will be impossible to take too many people to Turalei in time. But I will need two more soldiers, two doctors one nurse, and two AAVs to transport us. Any volunteers she asked looking at the team of doctors."

"I will lead with Dr. Ruhi and nurse Mrs. Stevenson," Atharv says after discussing with his team.

"Okay. Satpal ji and Viraj, you two will take Dr. Ruhi and Mrs. Stevenson from route B38. I will take the route from Abadai."

"But that is the most dangerous route, Captain."

"It is also the quickest route, Lieutenant."

"But Captain..."

"This is my order, Lieutenant; do you have any other questions."

"No, Captain." He says loud and clear.

"Good. We might lose contact when we are down there, so do not lose sight of what we must do."

"Yes, Captain." All the soldiers shout in unison.

"Everybody, move."

The terrain Kastuki had opted for herself was not only rough but dangerous as well and floods were going to be of no help.