5 years Later

Setting: February 26, 1980; Cemetery, just after a funeral...

"George," Anna Marie greets after five years of not speaking to each other, "Mary..."

"Anna," he replies, "Where's Lawrence?"

"He didn't come," she says quietly, "he's actually glad Mama's gone now..."

"Anna," Mary says with two small things hiding behind her legs, "this is George Jr," she says looking to her left as the five year old boy hugs her leg, "and Bailey," she adds looking to the right where a five year old girl also hides hugging her leg, "kids, this is your aunt Anna Marie, say hello to her."

"Hey there," Anna coos at them nervously, "I won't bite none."

"George, I'm gonna run to Walmart," Mary tells him, "you can take the twins home, right?"

"Ya," he says as he and his sister still eye each other, "What is it you want Anna?"

"I'm sorry for what I said that day George," she tells him timidly as Mary leaves the two five year old with their father, "I was bitter, Mama was getting to me like she always would...point is that I never should've said what said. Mary is a lovely woman...so..."

"Georgie, Bay; go find great aunt Ruth and great uncle Roger," he says scooting them off, see if they've got any candy for y'all."

"..." the two siblings are silent as the young twins run off

"So Bailey?" Anna asks

"Mary picked it out," he tells her, "since I chose Georgie's name."

"And another on the way," Anna adds

"Two more actually," he tells her, "another set of twins."

"One of each again?" She asks in a 'just making conversation' type of way, "or two of the same?"

"One f each," he admits, "and she says I'm naming the girl this time."

"Any ideas on names yet?" She asks him

"Mary agreed to Melissa Charlene," he tells her, "in memory of her sister."

"I didn't know she passed," Anna says in shock, "I'm sorry-"

"No, no not passed," George explains clearing his throat, "just...just-nota she anymore."

"What?" She asks confused, "We'll if she's not a she anymore, then what is she?"

"She's a he now," George replies clearing his throat again in an awkward discomfort at the topic altogether

"Oh," she replies quietly, "and um..." she says awkwardly, "the boy?"

"Don't know yet," he sighs

"Georgie looks just like you did," she sighs changing topics again, "and it's a little scary how close that girl of yours looks to Mama-"

"Mary thought she looks more like Connie," George tells her

"Well," she sigh a defeated sigh, "I should get goin before Lawrence decides to try and cook for himself; the man can fix a broken car faster than a Texas Ranger can swing a bat, but ask him to stir a pot of water and it'll burn quicker than you can refill it," she says laughing, "but if you ever need a babysitter George...our doors always open."

"Thanks Anna," he says as they hug each other, "I'll keep that in mind," he adds as they pull away from each other, "We'll see ya soon."

     George watches for a moment as his sister leaves before he is snapped out of his gaze by his little girl tackling his legs in a hug and looks down to find her burying head as if hiding. He gently pats her head, and she looks up at him with her blue eyes and a bright, warm toothy smile to her face. Georgie soon tackles his other leg with such force, that it causes George to take a step forwards so as not to lose his balance. It's a short walk home from the cemetery, since Mary took the car to the store. The moment the three walk through the door, George is made aware of the phone ringing off the hook...