Days without Sheldon

Setting: 1991; Sheldon has started at the local college, and Georgie is now in his junior year of high school...

     It's after school, and it is a rare day where Georgie doesn't have football practice or a game, Missy is off playing with Bobbi Sparks, his dad is out drinking, his mom is at the store and MeeMaw is babysitting him. Since it's not a normal day, they're both sitting in front of the tv, watching the news instead of football and for a while it's not very interesting...

"Can't we just watch a game," Georgie moans

"In a second," MeeMaw tells him, "I just wanna see if they caught yer little friends father yet."

"Who's-oh," he starts and stops as soon as he recalls who she's talking about, "right..."

The news reporter tells all of Texas to be on the look out for Mr. Orsin Adams whom had escaped from prison last year, as his picture appears on screen. They tell all of Texas that he was last spotted in Houston, heading towards Galveston; at the announcement, MeeMaw's eyes shift from the news to her grandson. Georgie's eyes were glued blankly to the screen, just starring at the picture of Mr. Adams, but his thoughts were storming with worry for Elvira's safety. He hasn't seen or heard from her in two years, he didn't know if she was even still in Galveston-though, most people that lived where they had in Galveston rarely left or went moved too far from the area. MeeMaw changes the channel over to a football game as soon as the new update is over; the change in the channel causes Georgie to snap out of his thoughts.

"I'm home!" Mary calls from the door as it opens

"Orsin still loose!" MeeMaw calls to her, "last spotted in Houston heading ta Galveston!"

"I heard," Mary says going into the kitchen and putting the groceries away

"I wish I could hear her voice," Georgie whispers under his breath as his mother and MeeMaw talk in the kitchen and his eyes focus on the football game, but his mind is souly focused on Elvira.

     He couldn't focus on the game that is on the tv, just stare at it as a pointless distraction; all he could think of, is: his pretty little cowgirl  that he left behind in Galveston. Her dark brown-almost black-hair, her gorgeous pale skin which is rare in Texas, her prefect lips and bluish green eyes. He misses he timid, but at times firm personality; he misses the way she looks in her conservative clothes, and the lack of confidence in her voice. He misses everything about her, every imperfection and flaw and her beautiful, rare smile. He misses hearing her call him 'Cowboy' and he especially the way she would make him feel like he's actually important, and not just 'Sheldon Cooper's' dumb older brother...

"Georgie?" A voice calls him from his thoughts

"Hm?" He response looking to the person that he sees to be the only sister he has currently

"Can ya help me with my homework?" She asks him holding a book out

"What kinda homework?" He asks glancing down at the book she's holding out

"Social Studies," she says as he takes the book from him

"What're you learnin?" He asks still looking at the book

"The renaissance era," she tells him, "Sheldon is at College till his weekend visit home, and its due first thing tomorrow-"

"I'm no good with history," Georgie sighs gently tossing the book down onto the coffee table in front of the couch

"You weren't good with English either," she points out, "but you were able to help me with it-"

"Ya," he sighs out, "but I'm especially not good at history...we'd need Bay-"

"..." they both fall quiet at his mention of their sister

"Please at least try Georgie," Missy begs him, "we could build a pillow fort and do it in there..."

"Alright," He sigh out again

    A smile grows on Missy's face as he gets up and gets all the pillows and cushions from the chairs and couch as she ran around the house getting blankets and pillows from other rooms. Once the fort is finished, they both lay on the pillows and beneath the blankets as they read through the chapter in her history book and try to answer the questions on her worksheet. Dinner was like all the rest over the years: the usual 'how was your day' from Mary, everyone's reply, and then nothing but practically unbearable silences...

"I wish Bay were here," Missy says suddenly

"..." all eyes stare at her

"Eat yer dinner," Mary says in a huff as she goes back to her own food, "and I don't wanna hear another word about it."

"But why?" Missy moans, "why can't we go see her?"

"Enough," George tells her, "listen to yer mother and don't talk back."

"She ain't dead," Georgie mutters under his breath like he's done numerous time before, "Don't see why we're all acting as if she is..."

"Don't y'all go gettin smart with us young man," Mary snaps as she points her fork at him, "or you'll be sent to yer room."

"Why should I care if I get sent to my room?!" He snaps back, "I get sent there and grounded half the time anyways!"

"Room," George snaps at him angrily, "Now."

"Whatever," Georgie huffs as he gets up and leaves, "wish we never left Galveston."

"Missy you go to yer room too," Mary tells her

"But-" Missy starts

"Now," Mary says sternly

         Missy rolls her eyes and goes off to her room, she misses her older sister: how they would do each other's hair and nails, how Bay would play dress up, tea parties and put makeup on her for fun. She misses how her big sister would babysit them, let them eat in their room, and help her with her homework. But she overall, mostly still felt guilt for that day: she knew better than to run out into the street for a toy-especially without looking both ways-yet she still stupidly did it. As she slumps down on her bed, Mary and George are cleaning up from dinner...

"Uh Mary?" George starts as she washes the dishes and he dries them

"Hm?" Is her response as she washes them

"Why don't we take the kids this weekend and go back ta Galveston ta visit Bailey..." he suggests carefully

"..." she doesn't say anything at first as she stops washing dishes, dries her hands, folds her arms and turns to him, "and are y'all ready to go back ta that Hospital and see one of our babies lying lifeless in that be?" She asks him looking ready to cry, "cause I don't think I'm ready ta handle it; not with all the bills, Shelly goin and comin from college, and worryin bout the other two-" her voice gets shaky as she talks, "I'm not sure I'm even ready ta think about that day-" she sniffles in tears now, "it all-it all happened so fast George..."

"I know," he sighs heavily crossing his own arms and looking to the ground, "I know...but the kids are right Mary, we can't just keep actin like she's dead or doesn't exist."

"Sheldon doesn't even remember her," Mary sniffles, "What're we suppose to do? We can't leave him alone-he might be in college, but he's only eleven, and we can't leave him with my mother, she'll wanna come see her with us-"

"What's the problem with Sheldon coming with us again?" He asks with a sigh

"The doctor said," she starts as she tries to calm herself down, "That his poor little mind must've been so traumatized by the sight of it, that it repressed the events and seeing her could trigger the trauma and cause him ta shut down."

"Ok," He sighs heavily again, "we won't go ta Galveston...we won't talk about Bailey...much like my parents, and yer sister-brother," he continues but corrects quickly, "We'll continue ta act like she don't exist!"

By the end of his statement, he's screaming at her and storming off as she turns back to the dishes crying as she continues to wash them. Her sister in law's words from sixteen years ago, which basically predicted her marriage turning to turmoil, and she hated how right her sister in law's words are starting to slowly coming to light...