A Christmas Scare

*one of the three ponies Georgie bought Hyla*

Setting: December 24, 2019; evening...

"Another birthday come and gone," Bailey sighs as she moves the porch swing back and forth and stares up at stars in the clear night sky, "goodbye forty three, 'ello forty four," she sighs out, "only six years left," she whispers to herself, "then we'll see how real yer curse is Jacob Cooper," she adds confidently with a smirk as she points a finger to the stars, "y'all just wait 'n' see!" She shouts at the sky, "if I live ta fifty one, I'll laugh at it like nothin!" She continues, "and if I die at fifty... ...then I vow 'ere 'n' now that that damn curse'll end with me!"

"Hey!" Georgie's voice comes from the front door

"What?!" She snaps at him

"Quit yer shoutin-yer gonna make the neighbors' complain ta the cop ya wacko!" He yells at her, "What're ya even hollerin' bout anyway?" He asks as he takes a seat next to her on the swing, "and how much 'ave ya had ta drink?-ya know yer a lightweight-"

"Shut up Georgie," she grumbles as she bites her lip, fighting back tears

"You cryin?" He asks her, his brows furrowed as he eyes her head that's turned away from him

"No," she denies in a cracking voice

"Liar," he huffs out then sighs, "Why're ya cryin?"

"Cause my life is shit," she laughs as she looks to him with tears still rushing down her face

"So is everyone else's," he sighs out with his eyes closed as he pulls her closer to him into a hug

"Y'all should know," she sniffles out as she rests her head on his shoulder

"I should know what?" he asks with a sigh as he rests his head on hers, "that yer drunk?" He chuckles out

"No," she giggles a drunken giggle as she sits up a bit and leans into his ear to whisper, "Yer my favorite twin."

"I'm yer only twin Bay," he sighs out with an eye roll

"Nooooo!" She whines and lightly pounds her fists on his chest, "Ya ain't hearin' me!"

"Would y'all knock it off," he tells her slightly irritated by her actions as she lightly punches his chest as if they were small children again and he grabs her wrists with one hand, "geez, what's with ya-"

"I-" she starts, still crying, but stops

"What?" He asks her as she rips her wrists away from his grasps, "ya what Bay?"

"..." her body begins to tremble, but her voice is completely calm, "Yer my favorite brother."

"..." he's silent for a moment, confusion written all over his face beneath his furrowed brow, "y'all don't 'ave favorites-"

"I lied," she states plainly

"Hahaha!" He chuckles out, "that's a good one," he sighs out, "y'all know I can tell-"

"When I'm lyin?" She finishes for him, "now who's lyin?" She huffs out bitterly, "y'all couldn't even tell all the times I was lyin bout E's home life...so don't tell me y'all can tell when I'm lyin."

"Fine, " he huffs, "but I know yer lyin bout havin' favorites-"

"I ain't," she tells him, completely serious and not looking at him, "I love everyone in our family,that's true-but..." she sighs out, "just bout every other person in our family annoys the piss out of me," she tells him as grips his shirt with tight fists and lets her head fall face first into his chest, "I've always been a daddy's girl...Pop-pop and MeeMaw were the only grandparents we ever really knew...Elvira's the only friend outside of our family I ever wanted..." she explains to him, "I love Shelly, but 'e's tryin..."