The Accident

Setting: 1989, before 'Young Sheldon' starts...

"Enough is enough Bay," Connie tells the girl sternly, "I know what happened last summer is still traumatizing ya, but if yer just gonna hush it up and not tell nobody, then y'all need to get up off yer ass, stop moping on yer bed and wasting yer life away, and start acting like it didn't effect you. Otherwise yer parents are gonna keep askin you questions."

"..." she gets no response other than her tryin to hide beneath her bed covers

"Bailey Ellie Cooper," Connie starts, "Don't you go tryin ta hide from yer MeeMaw," she says as she pulls the covers away, "now get out of this bed, go shower, and get ready for church."

"..." she whispers something incoherent

"What?" Connie asks

"I said: whores aren't welcome in church," she says louder

"Stop it," Connie snaps, "before I shove a bar of soap down yer throat. Now listen up," she demands, "you were raped Bay-" she says in a breaking voice as the breaks down crying, "and what happened to you-is a terrible thing, yes. But it also wasn't yer fault -"

"I went over there!" Bailey sits up and all but screams at her grandmother, "I chose to go other there!"

"But y'all didn't choose what happened to ya that night!" Connie snaps back, "What that bastard did to ya is unforgivable! But it's not yer fault! And it certainly does not make you a whore. Now, I've had enough of this; I can't keep these secrets anymore-"

"..." Bailey remains quiet

"Oh Bay," she sighs out as she comes to sit by her on the bed, "ya need to let me tell someone sweetheart," she says as she embraces the now crying girl, "listen to me," she whispers soothingly, "if somebody don't say somethin' he's just gonna continue to walk around hurting yer friend, and haunting you. But by tellin someone, somebody can do somethin about it and get both Elvira and her father the help they need-"

"Does it have to be mom and dad?" She asks in a soft whispering sniffle

"I suppose not," Connie sigh

So Bailey finally get out of bed for the first time in a long while, she showers and puts on her bed clothes for church; in church she sits quietly with her family until it's over. Once it's done she surprises and shocks her family by asking if she can speak with the pastor in confession. Although stunned, Mary allows it and they all watch as she to the confession booth and steps inside...

"Bless me father for I have sinned," she says in a shaky tone

"What is your sin my child?" He asks from where he sits on the other side

"I've been keeping secrets from my family that have been weighing on my mind for seven-almost eight years now," she says, her voice still shaking

"There is no need to fear here my child," he reassures her, "you are safe in gods house...now what is it that burdens you at such a young age?"

"I-I-I," She begins with a stutter, "I was raped by my best friend's father," she finally forces out, "and he's been molesting and beating on her since she was six."

"..." the religious figure on the other side is silent for a moment, "and you haven't told anyone until today?"

"I told my grandmother," she admits quietly, "but I asked her not to say anything to anyone else..."

"And why is this?" He asks her

"Because my friend asked me not to tell nobody," she sobs, "cause she doesn't wanna lose the only family she has left and I didn't wanna cause of how shameful and dirty I feel-"