Blame

Setting: Dr. Tire store; Georgie's office, January 1, 2005...

"Excuse me Mr. Cooper?" A woman's nervous voice comes from the doorway of his office

"One sec," he tells her as he finishes filling out an order form for another shipment of tires on the computer where he sits at his desk, "What's up?" He asks after hitting the send button

"Y-yer secretary sent me b-back," she stutters out

"And you are..." He asks her cluelessly

"Um-I'm h-here fur the internship," she tells him still nervous

"Right, right!" He starts as he looks through the mess of files out on his desk for her resume, "I was lookin at yer qualifications this morning-" he tells her as he stands to go through one stack, "so...what exactly made ya wanna apply fur an internship with us at Dr. Tire?"

"Well um-" she starts

"I want ya ta be honest," he tells her as he starts looking through another stack of files, "no need ta be shy, I ain't gonna yell or nothin."

"It wasn't my first choice," she mumbles honestly still a bit nervous, "it was the only internship left available."

"Ah," he exclaims as he finally finds her resume, "that's fine Ms..." he adds as he looks over the paper again, "Rivers-" he glances up at her in question then repeats, "Rivers?"

"Yes sir," she tell him politely, "Skylor Rivers."

"Y'all wouldn't happen ta be any relations ta Jordan Rivers would ya?" He asks her curiously

"Yes actually," she admits quietly, "he's my brother; how do ya know 'im?"

"Went ta the same school fur a while," he tells her as he gets up from his desk again and goes to the mini fridge, "beer?" He offers her

"I don't drink," she tells him simply

"Suit yerself," he tells her simply with a shrug and opens his beer as he comes back to sit at his desk, "so Why's it I don't recall ever meet ya way back when?"

"Our father decided fur us at an early age ta do an experiment with us ta see who'd turn out more successful in life," she explains as he furrows his brow in confusion, "he sent me way an elite boarding school as soon as we turned two and Jordan was sent ta public school," she states plainly, "as a result, I got into a prestigious high ranking University and he went to more local college and became a cop..."

"What're ya studying ta be?" He asks her

"Nothing in particular," she admits with a shrug, "just learning to learn really; don't really know how much time I've got left in all honesty, so I'm tryin ta learn as much as I can."

"Come again?" He asks her as glances back her way from the paper

"I was born with a brain aneurysm," she tells him with a smile, "it's kinda like havin a ticking time bomb in yer head if it's ruptured, but usually fine if it hasn't."

"Is yers?" He asks her with a bit of concern

"..." she stares at him a moment, "Sorry?"

"Yer aneur-thingy," He says still eyeing her, "is it ruptured?"

"Hm," she clears her throat, "y-yes, technically; but-"

"Do you believe that it'll effect yer workin 'ere fur the next three months or so?" He asks her as he leans back in his chair

"I hope not," is all she finds herself able to respond honestly with

"Great," he tells her, "y'all can start by organizing these files in alphabetical order."