Never Gonna Happen

*what Hurts The Most: Rascal Flatts*

Setting: Same time as the last chapter; Georgie and Elvira are on their walk...

"So..." Elvira starts awkwardly, like she had yesterday when they tried to talk

"You start where y'all want ta," he tells her

"..." she nods in silence as they continue to walk, "How's bout we start with the past and work our way up ta Hyla?"

"Fine," he replies simply as they keep walking

"Where ta start," she mutters more to herself

"How bout with why ya never told me," he states

"..." she goes quiet for a moment, knowing exactly what he's talking about, "cause I knew ya'd go off and tell yer parents," she states with a sigh, "and I was a scared, stupid, naive child that didn't wanna accept the help or advice bein offered ta 'er on a silver platter cause she was still holdin out hope fur a chance that even the slightest shred of the man she once knew ta be 'er daddy was still in the asshole-but somewheres, deep down...I knew the truth," she sigh heavily, "I just didn't wanna admit that things had gotten ta a point of no return till it was too late."

"..." Georgie is quiet for a moment, "Did he ever-"

"Not like he didn't try, but no," she states, "he didn't," she confirms, "just Bay," she adds quietly, "I always felt sorry bout the trouble my life would cause Bay and the rest of ya though-"

"What'dya mean?" He asks her confused, "what trouble?"

"Fur a while I'd sneak out over ta yer place fur 'sleepovers' ta get away from 'im," she explains, "but I woke up late once, and got caught sneaking back in-it didn't end well," she continue, "after that I stopped makin yer house my first and only destination...do y'all recall February thirteenth of eighty seven?"

"..." he thinks for a moment

"Just us two," she tells him, "out on the football field...dancin round in the dark ta a song the radio ya brought with ya..."

"Ya," he states with a fond smile, "I remember, What bout it?"

"That's why Bay came home lookin like she did," she tells him quietly

"What?" He asks her confused

"He woke up while I was out with you," she explains, "went ta her house, scared yer siblings half ta death, beat the hell outta Bay and basically kidnapped 'er by draggin 'er along ya look fur me...he letter go after they found me a few feet from my house-he broke my collar bone that night-"

"Bay told our parents that she got inta a fight with some girl at school," Georgie states in shock

"I'm sure she also said things like 'she walked inta a door,' or 'fell down the stairs,' and many other excuses," she tells him, "but the truth is: when I snuck out and that asshole couldn't find me round ta beat, he'd go lookin fur me and take it out on Bay."

"..." he stops walking and just stands in shock

"..." she stops a few steps in front of him

"He could've ended up killin you," Georgie states

"Coulda-woulda," she states back, "don't matter now," she sighs, "I show ya every scar on me and tell ya behind each one, but there's no point when it won't change nothin-"

"Fine then," he cuts her off, "then lets skip ahead a bit, shall we?"

"Ok," she states, "what do ya-"

"Tell me what happened the night Bay was-" he stops short of the word

"Summer of eighty eight," she states remembering it clearly, "like a number of times before, he tried ya force 'imself on me," she starts, "I hit with a cast iron frying pan-which ironically, is what I accidentally killed 'im with a few years later then I high tailed it outta there and headed fur her house," she explains, "Yer mom and Missy were out shopping, and you were at a football game with her dad; Bay was home watching Sheldon when I came a knockin," she continues, "I was-terrified and shaking; Bay had me rest in 'er bed and I she left ta grab things from my house-I guess decidin that enough enough, but I didn't know that she'd gone till I overheard yer brother tellin yer grandma that Bay had been gone fur a while..."