Copping with Changes

*both versions of MeeMaw: to show the passage of time & change for Bailey*
*Chasing Cars: Snow Patrol-2006; for the surreal feel it gives off

Setting: John Sealy Hospital, Galveston Texas 2018; Hospital room 777...

     Bailey sits on the bed quietly as she finishes brushing through her hair when the  doctor knocks on the door as he enters the room...

"I've just finished contacting yer family Ms. Cooper," they tell her, "Yer mother is on her way-"

"How much longer must I stay in this bed doc?" She asks him with a sigh, "What's goin on?"

"Well," they start while clearing their throat, "seeing as y'all halve been asleep fur twenty nine year, yer muscles are likely gonna be weak and feel like jelly when ya try and stand or put pressure on 'em. You'll have ta go through physical therapy in order to be able to walk again-"

"Will I be able to go home today?" She asks cutting him off

"Well," they starts again, "We'll have ta run a few tests and make sure everything with you is a,right and nothing's wrong,  but...if all seems well, then I don't see why not."

"..." she smiles at him

"I'll be back as soon as you're family arrives," they tell her as they leave

"Thank ya," she calls after them

     The smile fades from her faces as soon as the doctor is gone and the door is closed, she turns to look out the nearby window as she loses herself in her thoughts. She can't wait to see her family again, but given how much time has passed and the fact that it's now two thousand eighteen, she finds herself a little afraid to see them again as well. Afraid to see how much time has really passed without her, how much they've all changed and left her behind. The last she saw of them: her mother was in tears as her MeeMaw comforted her, her father storming out the door with his shotgun, her baby brother in a blank stare, her twin mad and confused, and her baby sister running into the streets after a ball. A knock comes to the door again as she wonders whatever became of her best friend and turns back to look at the person as they enter, only of find a little old lady she doesn't really recognize...

"..." they just start at each other a moment as the elderly woman takes a seat by the bed

"Now I know yer mother taught ya that it's rude to stare," the elder woman tells her

"S-sorry," Bailey stutters out as she looks away

"It's alright," the elder woman chuckles, "We're glad yer awake Bay-"

"You know me?" Bailey asks looking back to her

"Well, I might be older now," the elder woman laughs a little more, then sighs, "but my memory hasn't gone so much that I've forgotten my own grandchildren-"

"M-MeeMaw?" Bailey sputters out as her eyes widen with  shock

"That's right," MeeMaw smiles at her warmly

"MeeMaw," she repeats as she bursts into tears while leaning over the bed to hug her, "I'm so sorry! I never should've asked ya ta keep that secret from mom and daddy! I should've just let ya tell 'em!" She sobs into her grandmother's shoulder

"That's all in the past now Bay," Connie soothes as she gently brushes through the girl's long hair

"Maybe for everyone else it is," Bailey sniffles, "but it still seems like yesterday ya me..."

"I know," Connie sighs out as she kiss the girl's hair, "I know, but everything is alright now...I promise."

"..." Bailey just quietly cries as MeeMaw continues to hold her