Regrets

Setting: 2010...

The church is decorated with white fabrics and a numerous amounts of lilies; Everything is Missy's idea of perfect, she feels as if she's finally doing something right. She waits patiently in her room for someone to come tell her that it's time, she's practically ready when a knock comes to the door...

"Come in," She calls when they don't enter

"Y'all ready?" Comes her older mother's voice

"I wish everyone were 'ere," she sighs heavily

"I know ya do sweetheart," Mary says quietly, "but Shelly has some important science thing, and her uncle Lawrence apparently has some medical surgery-"

"I wish," she says cutting her mother off, "I wish Bay was 'ere."

"I know, I know ya do baby,"Mary coos as she hugs her now sobbing daughter, "she may not be 'ere in person, but I know she's with us in spirit."

"Wish Daddy was 'ere too," Missy cries harder

"I know," is all Mary is able to whisper to her

"It's time," Georgie's voice come from the other side of the door with a knock, "y'all ready in 'ere?"

"Will be right out," Mary tells him as he goes, "ya ready baby?"

"Y-Yea," Missy sniffles as she dries her eyes

"Then we better start goin," Mary tells her

Missy's thoughts are filled with the wants and wishes and regrets of not having her sister there to be her maid of honor, not having her father there to walk her down the isle and how she would've liked her whole family to be present for the special occasion. She looks over everyone in the isles as the church doors open and her mother walks her down it towards the man she's marrying. In the isles she see her MeeMaw, Uncle Stumpy, and her older brother's girlfriend, both smiling back at her. While her older stands at the alter next to her husband to be in his roll as best man, he too smiling at her;  soon enough she and her mother are standing before the pastor, and the ceremony begins. At the reception later, Missy dances with her husband, then instead of a father daughter dance, she dances with her mother and brother instead...

"Y'all don't seem too happy fur havin just got married," Georgie points out to her as they dance, "What's up Missy?"

"I am happy," she insists, "just feels like things are missin is all."

"I feel that way all the time," he tells her quietly

"Really?" She asks him

"Mind if I cut in?" Her now husband asks

"She's all yer Wesley," Georgie tells him as he passes his sister off to his new brother in law

"God y'all look mighty pretty Mrs. Conners," he tells her as they start to dance

"Thank ya Mr. Conners," she tells him with a smile as she tries to focus on the here and now instead of the what if and what should've beens.

Whatcha think bout?" He asks her

"Just how much fun we're gonna have tonight," she lies with a smirk on her face

Despite having dated him for a year, she still has yet to tell him about the existence of her older sister that has now been in a comatose sleep for the past twenty one years now. Though Mary still had hopes of her waking, the rest of the family were starting to give up on her ever waking. But despite the doctors recommending that they take her off of the life support, Mary refused to do so. This only made going to visit her harder on all those who did, because they'd go and see her slowly getting thinner and thinner; wasting away, while they all waited for her to wake again. Missy still refused to go see her though, she didn't want to see the reality of her sister's state; she insisted wanted to remember Bailey as she recalled before that dreadful day.

She wanted to remember her as the older sister that had tea parties with her, that braided her hair, helped her with homework, let her get away with things but at the same time tried to keep the peace and protected her from scary nightmares and shadows in the darkness. She didn't want to remember that dark day when she caused her sister's coma; the day she continuously blames herself for, and is why she hasn't once gone to visit her in the hospital since the day her MeeMaw forced them all to go. But Missy hasn't bothered to tell her new husband: Wesley Conners, about her older sister: Bailey, because she didn't really see much of a point in bringing her up to him if she couldn't ever introduce them to one another. She didn't want to deal with the questions he'd have about her either...

"Hey," his voice interrupts her thoughts, "y'all Ok?"

"Hm?" She asks at first, "What'dya mean?"

"Why're y'all crying?" He asks her as he whips the tears away

"Oh," she starts, she hadn't even known she was crying till he pointed it out to her, "n-no reason," she lies easily, "I'm just so happy right now is all."

"Glad ta hear it," he tells her with a smile, fully believing her little white lies as they continue to dance the night away