fair and square (requested)

Your heart was pounding as you got ready for your big race today. Hailee was in the stands to support you and before you started you decided to give her a visit.

You wrapped your arms around her neck as she softly kissed your cheek. "You're gonna do great, babe, I believe in you. You've got this." She pressed several kisses across your face and it made you giggle, her arms unwrapping from your waist as you walked down the steps and onto the track.

You stretched out your arms and your legs and when you looked from the corner of your eye you saw him - the one person that you truly hate. Your old rival, Nate, was in the stands and not only was his presence alone annoying, but he was also flirting with Hailee. You watched as she flashed him multiple fake smiles and kept rolling her eyes which made you chuckle. You knew you didn't have to worry about anything though because Hailee is extremely faithful to you, and you could also see that she was clearly annoyed by him as well.

He ran down the steps and over to you as all the other runners started to line up. Unlucky for you though, Nate, was right next to you. He was a cheater, always distracting other runners or purposely tripping a few, but he's never gotten in trouble for it and you hate him even more for it. "You're not gonna win y/n." He smirked at you, already acting like his cocky self. He's beat you at every race and you know that you could always beat him if you cheated as well, and he's even tried in the past to convince you to cheat, but that's not who you are. If you ever win you want it to be fair and square. You don't wanna stoop so low, down to his level.

You heard Hailee cheering loudly from the stands and it gave you a boost of confidence. you just smirked back at him as the whistle blew and muttered a few words that, for the first time ever, made his cocky smirk leave his lips. "Watch me."

You heard his breath hitch but he cleared his throat to try to hide it. The whistle blew once more and you were suddenly running. It nearly felt as though your mind wasn't in control, like you weren't moving your feet, as though they were moving on their own. The other runners were falling behind as you took the lead, running faster than ever before. You felt like your lungs were on your fire and you felt like you might fall over from how fast you were running, but you kept going, until you finally reached that finish line for the first time.

Everyone was cheering for you and Hailee ran from the stands and over to you as the other runners congratulated you, except, of course, your rival. He stood a little behind you, biting his tongue to keep in his fit of jealousy. He's never lost, well, up until now.

"I'm so proud of you y/n. You did it!" Hailee spun you around in her arms and you giggled, pressing a kiss to her neck before making eye contact with him. "Yeah, fair and square." He stormed off and the win felt fantastic, not because he lost, but because you won without stooping down to his level, the only way you'd ever want to win.