wrong side - Colby Brock

I am NOT taking requests on Wattpad, if you want to have a request done, you'll have to go to my Tumblr; LightenUpBrock. This is just so I keep my priorities straight.

Summary; "can you do when where y/n is from the uk so is used to driving on the other side road and car so when she moves to la and meets colby he teaches her to drive in la because she anxious about it" - anonymous

Warnings; swearing, fluff

Word Count; 1,081 words

,

——-

Honestly, you thought that moving to the United States would be a huge ass mistake for so many reasons. Not only do the Americans do everything the wrong way when it comes to food. And apparently politicians these days.

But they also drive on the wrong side of the road. Which is the most terrifying thing you're ever experienced. Every single time you're in a car with one of your friends—who are Americans and love to make fun of your pronunciation and your irrational fear—you're sure that you are all going to die. Just because of the fact that you've grown up your entire life on the other side of the road.

If you ever go back to the United Kingdom, you're sure that you're going to be absolutely fucked up. Especially after learning how to drive here. When you finally get back home you're not going to know how to drive at all. Which is fine, you guess. You'll just catch a cab wherever you go for the rest of your life.

Moving here hasn't been all downhill though. You had sworn on your life that it would take a long ass time before you finally made friends. But that turned out to be a lot easier than you thought it would be. When you moved to Los Angeles, you were meeting people back to back.

Granted, not all of them are nice—you're used to that, not a lot of people are nice anyway—but the ones that weren't absolutely terrible are great to be around. Back to what you said earlier, they do like to make fun of the accent. But you make fun of their accent right back.

It's a fun game you guys like to play with each other. See who says it more wrong. And each time you always say that it's them. Why? Because you come from Europe, guess where most of their words originate from?

Plus, colonists, hello? Most people's ancestors have had an accent in the past, and if anyone doesn't believe you, the colonists also had an accent. The only reason why they stopped having one after a while is because they just... didn't want it anymore after the Boston Tea Party. Which is one of the most ridiculous things you've ever heard of. But it seems like something people from America would do.

After separating from New England they went on top of that and told them 'fuck you, we're getting rid of the accent so we have nothing to do with you anymore'. One, how overdramatic of them to do. And second, big props too. Because that's some class A petty shit, and you're all for it.

Anyway, you win at the accent game. Their favorite one for you to do is the southern accent. And to be honest, it's your favorite too. Just because you think you sound absolutely ridiculous, but they love it, and think you're doing better than people who live in the south. And it's their damn accent!

"I want to back out, but at the same time I think it'll be a fun story to tell," Jake tells you guys.

"She's only dropping you off at Taco Bell for lunch, and then we'll pick you guys right up after."

"Isn't Taco Bell nasty?" you ask, not knowing what kind of hole you've just dug for yourself.

"Nasty?" Tara asks, a little offended as she puts on a fake accent, "It's the best place in town!"

"That was bad," you tell her, shaking your head as you sit inside of the car.

Already, you're feeling off. Because the drivers side is normally on the passenger side. But here, it's the other way around.

You're going to crash the car the second you start driving. However, Colby has faith in you. So, you're sure that you'll be able to do better than you're telling yourself that you are.

"You know how to turn on a car?" Colby asks you, you fake laugh as you put your foot on the brake, turning the car on.

"If you're going to patronize me the entire time, I'm going to crash the car immediately." You threaten him, before starting to drive out of the parking space and through the parking lot to get out onto the road.

"You'll just owe me a new car." Colby shrugs.

"Who says that we're living?" you ask him.

Jake laughs, and Colby shakes his head, "Take a right."

"And things are already different." You say, leaning onto the steering wheel a little bit to look both ways. And when you see no cars, you follow his directions.

You try not to grip the wheel too hard as you continue to drive down the road. Listening to the GPS the best you can. Occasionally, Colby will tell you additional information along the way.

"On this turn, go to the middle lane on the far right," Colby points and you nod slightly, turning the wheel as you continue to press on the gas lightly. When you're straightened out again, you can see the Taco Bell that Jake and Tara are talking about so excitedly.

You're not sure why, it's just a place to eat. Unless this place is popular after all—you're sure that you have it in the UK somewhere, you just never bothered to stop and grab anything. Maybe you'll try it when you come to grab Tara and Jake later. Maybe then Colby will also switch with you so he's driving instead.

"And a right up ahead," Colby tells you, and you listen to him easily. However, he didn't specify how far you could turn into the parking lot, and that's almost a bad mistake.

You're able to turn the wheel in time, raising your hand in apology to the woman in the other car. After that, you give Colby a slight glare, annoyed by the laughter coming from Jake.

"Oops."

"I'm going to kill us unintentionally and it's going to be your fault." You say to him, before turning and rolling down the window, "Have fun you two! No kissing!"

Tara turns to you with a smile, blowing you a kiss before she waves. Jake holds the door open for her, and he holds up a hand for a second, disappearing into the building behind her.

"Ready for more?" Colby asks.

You sigh, looking around you to see if it's safe to pull a U-Turn, "I don't have another choice."