bookworm - Sam Golbach

I am NOT taking requests on Wattpad, if you want to have a request done, you'll have to go to my Tumblr; LightenUpBrock. This is just so I keep my priorities straight.

Summary; "sam sees you reading outside a cafe everyday on his way home and eventually works up the courage to talk to you because he thinks you're beautiful" - anonymous

Warnings; swearing, fluff

Word Count; 1,075 words

,

——-

It didn't start off as a regular thing for Sam to do. In fact, he only did it once or twice a week at most. Sometimes not even that much. He wouldn't stop going for weeks, and then all of a sudden start going again because he remembered about the café.

Every single time Sam went to the café, it was the same old boring routine. After getting ready for the day, he'd go out and grab some coffee—he's addicted to the way they make it—and then leave to go hang out with friends. Or maybe go and film a YouTube video. Simple, right?

Well, one day, the line was out the door. And Sam would've wheeled his ass around and gone to Starbucks, if it weren't for the fact that their coffee basically has crack cocaine in it. It's just the truth at this point, there's no going back.

So, while Sam was standing in that line, he had all too much time to look around the little café. And take in what it actually looks like. For example, he never noticed the little chalkboard that they have sitting outside in front of the window. Much less the fact that there is a seat are off to the side of the place.

And with that, came the genius idea of looking around just a little more. He stood in line, of course, not really wanting to lose his spot. But he saw things that he hadn't know before.

He saw you, a little cup of coffee sitting on the wooden table in front of you, as you were lent over reading a book. And this is outside in California's eighty degree weather. But you seemed to be enjoying it all the same.

He was entranced for a good couple of seconds, until the person behind him finally told Sam that the line was moving, after that, he couldn't stare any longer.

After that, it wasn't the coffee that was making him come back. It was you, to see you everyday to see if you'd change, if you wouldn't be there. However, that never happened. You were always there.

It wasn't until maybe a week into going to the café solely because of you, when he realized that it was weird. Almost a little stalker-ish. He doesn't mean it that way, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't come off like that.

So, Sam has spent the last couple of weeks building up the courage to finally talk to you. Allowing that little crush of his to form into something more. Which he shouldn't have done that at all. Especially because he doesn't know if you'll even want to talk to him.

Or better yet, let him take you on a date. When you have no previously knowledge about him. Or hell, since you're reading all the time, you probably don't bother looking up at all. So, you wouldn't know what he looks like either.

God, he's going to come off as a stalker. Or some random creepy dude that's just going up to you for no reason. And how does he even ask you out on a date?

Maybe Sam should start off with some small talk first, get to know you more before he even bothers with a date. He doesn't even know what you're like at all.

"Sam?" The girl at the counter holds the cup out to him.

Taking it, Sam offers her a warm smile, "Thank you."

"Yeah," she says, "Going off to hang out with those friends of yours now?"

He's gotten to know this girl since he comes in everyday, and she's almost always working the afternoon shift. There's no reason why he can't get to know her at all.

"No..." he trails off for a second, "I'm not hanging out with them today. I um... can you help me with something?"

"Sure, what's up?" The girl leans on the counter.

"The girl out there at the tables," Sam turns, motioning towards her.

"What about her? Do you have a crush or something?"

Sam's face turns a little red as he looks at the cashier again, and she laughs at him, "What?"

"Go for it, dude!" The cashier says.

"No but like—what do I do? Will she think I'm creepy?" Sam asks.

The girl shrugs, "Just say you see her reading everyday and you're curious about what she reads."

"That simple?" Sam is shocked.

"Absolutely." The cashier nods at him, "Go! I'm excited to watch this. Haven't had anything interesting all day."

Sam takes a small sip of his coffee, before he goes out to see you. He does his normal of walking out the door—as any other sane person does—but this time he takes a left instead of a right.

Still, you don't look up to see him. Up until he's standing at the tables like an absolute dork.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" Sam asks, you look up with a confused expression, finger on the place where you left off at.

"What? No, go ahead." You motion to the place in front of you.

"Thanks." Sam sits down, and then he fiddles with the cup slightly, "I always see you reading out here when I grab my coffee—" he sets the cup onto the table now, "—and I'm just curious on what you read."

Sam cringes as how awful he sounded asking that question. But it seems as if you don't care, because you nod and then the book cover over.

"Well, right now I'm reading The Hunger Games again," you look up to him, and he can see the little spark in your eyes, "Have you read it before?"

He has, "Yeah! Definitely better than the movie, in my opinion."

A smile spreads over your face, "A man of culture. I like it. Most people just watch the movie and don't bother with the books. But they miss all the good details that the book provides and not the movie."

Sam's own face has a tiny grin on it, "Yeah! I totally get it—my friend just watches the movies and it's a little and it's a little frustrating."

"I'm (Y/n)," you smile at him, putting the bookmark into your book. Showing that you're clearly interested in talking to him more.

Sam knows that he's done it this time, that he's picked you out perfectly, "Sam."