A showcase with @rotorooters, author of dark matter

1 What provided the inspiration for your story?

I read @KatieMilliganCarns' books Troubled and Haunted on Wattpad, and it inspired me to do some research into the mental health of survivors of childhood trauma. 

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

Because the main character's struggles are so far removed from my own, I did a lot of research to make her mental state and the traumatic situations she finds herself in as realistic as possible. It was surprisingly more work than I imagined, but totally worth it! 

3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I loved the complicated relationships of the main character, not just romantic, but everyone: family, friends, and lovers alike. All of the dynamics change throughout the story, for better or worse, and that was really fun to create!

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

I've been very lucky to receive overwhelmingly positive feedback to this story! I think many thought it was twisted and disturbing, but I was hoping for that so I'm glad that it's been received as such. 

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

It's the first of two books! I'm working on the sequel currently.

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

I'd like readers to understand the importance of mental health, and how imperative it is for society to provide support instead of stigmatize it. And that those who suffer from mental illnesses are not alone in their experiences.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

If you have a story idea, whatever it may be, weird, strange, cliche, etc, jot it down even if it's not fully formed. You never know when inspiration will hit! Also, write the kinds of stories the way you want, and the kind you would want to read yourself—you'll never go wrong.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

She's American of South Asian/Indian descent, as I am. I've struggled with my family relationships in my younger years, though not nearly to the extent of hers. And I do have a PhD in a physical science as well, so we are similar in that sense. Otherwise, I'd say we're very, very different.

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

It's a psychological thriller that unravels as the story goes on, and I think having a diverse cast makes it unique. There's not just one clear antagonist, nor are there perfect characters. I have a soft spot for deeply flawed characters! I can't help it!

10 do you have any future projects?

I do! I've just posted the prologue of a story called Need You To Talk to Me, and am also working on a sequel to Dark Matter, called Critical Mass.