A showcase with @niko-sultz, author of Til Roses Do Us Part

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

I was always drawn to and interested in the First World War, so that's the explanation for the place in time, and as for writing an epistolary novel, it's because I have quite a short span of attention and knew that I wouldn't be able to finish the book if it were something else, I also personally enjoy reading epistolary novels. And I believe letters are truly a beautiful way of communication, personal and intimate.

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

Mostly certain letters where I had to describe dullness or boredom. The letters with no important event were tough ones.

3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

A wonderful part of writing a historical fiction is the research. I didn't want to make things up, so I looked into the history of British infantries and regiment, what, when and why certain battles were fought, I read actual letters that couples exchanged during the Great War.

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

So far, so good. Most feedback I got was for my writing style, quite poetic and sing-songy, even.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

It is a stand alone novel. I'm honestly not a huge fan of sagas, but who knows, my opinion could change...

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

I would like to implant a feeling of privilege; these days we often forget how lucky we are to live in today's standards, with modern tools and technologies. The Great War was the first of it's kind, the first time humanity has seen mass-produced slaughter. We have progressed so much since then, let's not forget that we're lucky to have become what we have.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

I know it's a cliché already, but it's truly a treasure when you understand it - show not tell. Try to imagine the action happening find something similar to it. The bird isn't flying, it's softly sailing on the waves of summer's wind.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

The story has two main characters, two newlyweds, and I suppose I can find some of my traits in them, but I mostly base characters off of the people around me.

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

If I knew I would be doing it. I won't try too hard, or force my way out there. I'll write what I want and have to write, and to have only one read it and enjoy it is such an achievement.

10 do you have any future projects?

I do, few actually. But I promised myself that I won't seriously take on any new projects until I've finished this one.