A showcase with @violetsadowski, author of Everett

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

The story is actually an attempt to make a short story I wrote in high school into a full-length novel. The concept for the short story came from seeing the disrespect my teachers got from students. I thought the disrespect was uncalled for...but I feel like the full novel has taken a different direction than the original story.

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

 The "villain". The conflict is person vs society which, if written poorly, can deter the reader.

3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

The first chapter and last. It was exciting to get started on a novel and the end is already written, but hidden away in my high school notebook.

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

My readers seem to get drawn in with the first chapter, but it's still in the first phase of writing so I've gotten feedback on how to clarify some of the writing.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

Stand alone and very short for a novel

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

Hmmm... the original short story inspiration was meant to be a hyperbole of the attitude of teens. Now, I think I want the takeaway to be that there should be a balance between new, youthful ideas and old, tired and true ideas.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

Find what reduces your stress and find what gives you inspiration. 

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

My main character and I don't share a lot of similarities. The only trace of me in him is his tendency to be a person of few words.

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

 That it is short. I'm hoping that the story is appealing as a quick read for adults or a novel that can be taught in schools.

10 do you have any future projects?

 Yes! I have a collection of poetry I'm working on for my dad. I also have two other novels in the works (one scifi/fantasy and the other all fantasy).