A showcase with @zendaya_jr14, author of I Am Not Veronica Gates

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

What exactly inspired me to write 'I Am Not Veronica Gates' is from a personal experience. I've seen a lot of cases (also in movies too) whereby people just get hated for no apparent reason or get hated because of the way they talk, act or just because they're popular and talented. So I decided to make this known to the public on how this affects people badly by creating a story mixed with drama and teen romance about two girls who look the same and having misplaced identity, causing one to be hated because of the other.

2 what was something you struggled with for your story ?

Well honestly, I didn't really struggle with anything. The whole plot and book's concept came in like a free flowing river and I made sure to prepare the story before actually publishing. So I had no stoppages. I'm really glad about that.

3 what has been the overall response to your story from your readers?

Yeah this, I still remember the first comment I got on my book. Till now, I still can't forget the reader's username and the exact comment saying how much of a unique plot the book had. Their response made me smile a lot, from voting to adding my book to their reading lists. My readers' responses were so positive to the extent that they made me want to update everyday. I'm also glad about that.

4 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

What I enjoyed the most in writing I Am Not Veronica Gates were all the crazy, eventful parts where the main character had to struggle and deal with a lot of things alongside the humor. I laughed to myself sometimes while writing those parts.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series?

a stand alone

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

Yeah this was one of the things that fueled me to continue I Am Not Veronica Gates even when I felt like giving up because I knew the exact message I wanted to pass to the public. One of the things I want my readers to get— entertainment. I want them to laugh or smile whenever they think of a particular character or chapter. Also, I wanted them to know to stop hating. We shouldn't hate people or ourselves for who we are. And also, it's okay to make the biggest mistakes in life. Don't beat yourself up for that.

7 what's a piece of advice you would provide to another writer, when it comes to focusing on their story?

 I'm still new to all this. But I'll give out tips that helped me a lot in finishing I Am Not Veronica Gates.

First, make sure you write a story you're in love with. Create characters who would make you laugh or cry or smile. Cause when you do something you love, you'd want to put your all into it.

Second, do NOT be discouraged. Using myself as an example. Yes! I received a lot of discouragement, funny thing, it wasn't from Wattpad. But I knew I wanted to write this story so much so I continued. Also because I wanted to prove them wrong. In conclusion, have a fighting spirit!

Lastly, if you don't get enough reads, don't worry too much about that. The reads will come. Believe me.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

That... No. My main character has this I-want-to-help-even-if-it-means-I-die personality and me, not so much. 

9 what's something you believe would draw in new readers?

The unique concept and storyline of the book. Yeah, that's it.

10 do you have any future projects?

Yes. I definitely have, that's for sure. And I'm super excited for them.