A showcase with @Keri8794, author of It all started with a theory

1 what inspired the idea of your story? 

I was inspired by an advert I saw years ago for a new comedy show. The ad showed a young man walking into random stores proposing to different women until one said yes. It was advertising a prank show but I remember thinking how bizarre and unusual that was and it got me thinking, what if someone did that, just proposed to someone until they found a person to agree. And so... an idea formed and the book was created.

2 what was something you struggled with your story?

In the beginning I really struggled with relatability of my story and the concept in general. My first draft had many readers saying they enjoyed it but couldn't understand why the characters (mostly Nick) got into their situation. It took me almost 3 years to finally go back to it and fix it so the stakes made more sense. I'm now working on fixing the others in the series too.

 3 what has been the overall response to your story from your readers?

My readers seem to love the book and it's been my best performing book at over 1M reads

 4 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I loved exploring a new style of writing with this novel. Before writing it, I'd always written in first person narrative but with this one, I changed to third person. I find I now love it.

 5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series?

Its the first in a series but each book in the series is a stand alone

 6 what would you like to have readers take away from your story?

I'd like readers to take away that beauty standards aren't determined or established by media but rather by our own value in what we see (ourselves or others). The Marrying You Series is about challenging beauty norms and the idea that we pretend to match what society wants from us because of fear when really we should embrace our own beauty which is real beauty.

 7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story? 

My advice to other writers would be to stick to your truth. The worst thing you can do is write just to get votes. Write what makes you happy and you'll see that it'll be the best thing you would ever write. Also, never stop. Keep at it. Your time for success will come!

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself? 

Some traits. Some of my views towards marriage and love are reflected in Both main characters.

9 what's something about your story, you believe would draw in new readers?

I believe new readers will be drawn the twist on a cliche that is in my story. It's got the pretense of being your typical romance where a rich guy convinces a poor woman to marry him just for his reputation but really... It's so much more than that! The characters aren't who you assume they are and their intentions armed what you originally assume either.

 10 do you have any future stories?

i have 7 books on my profile, only 1 is currently a work in progress. My latest finished novel is Flirting with disaster and is more light hearted compared to my other novels. I'm working on fixing and polishing the Marrying You Series before I love onto future stories.