A showcase with @baenism, author of Underneath her glasses

1. What inspired the idea of your story?

I was just daydreaming as usual. And I came up with this story about this badass nerd and a bad boy. When I found myself picturing the nerd with glasses, for some reason, I started asking myself questions like, "Why is it that all nerds wear glasses in most stories set in high school?"

I then remembered a book I starting writing a long time ago but never got anywhere it and I remembered that the main character was someone who was treated a certain way based on the stereotypes surrounding people like her. I decided to incorporate that into this story with hopes of giving it this unique sense. You could say I was inspired by my daydreams and one of my old write-ups.

2. What was something you struggled with for your story?

I think the one thing I struggled with the most with is finding a particular path for my characters and even the plot of my book as a whole. I found it a bit hard trying to decide how the story should go because I was too busy trying to prevent myself from writing something 'cliché' rather than just expressing myself through my writing. There's also, writer's block. I don't think there's any writer who doesn't suffer from that. 

3. What has been the overall response to your story from your readers?

When I first started, my book didn't really get any attention but as time went on, people began to vote and make positive comments. I was really surprised but happy that the book was getting quite a number of positive responses.

4. What did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I love how much power I have in my hands as a writer to be able to decide the fate of everyone in my book. Of course, they are fictional characters but still it's so much fun thinking and deciding who will be who and what will be what. I also love the humorous scenes. I find myself laughing sometimes when I write Leanne's sarcastic and somewhat witty replies.

5. Is your story a standalone novel or a piece of a series?

For now, I've decided to make it a standalone novel. I might change my mind later on but as it stands, it's a standalone novel.

6. What would you like your readers to take away from your story?

My book isn't just a cliché book about high school love and all. It may seem that way at first but when you go deeper, you'll realize that I actually took time to treat common issues that we as people usually have such as being constantly judged and misunderstood by others, struggling to find a place for ourselves, struggling to let go of the past and move on, blaming ourselves for things that we aren't necessarily at fault for and so on.

I hope that my readers can find themselves relating with some of these events and I also hope that my book becomes a form of entertainment for them as well.

7. What's a piece of advice you would provide to another writer, when it comes to focusing on their story?

Personally, I find it hard to focus on one work but I would advise that you try your best to focus on your story. Don't lose track of what you're writing. If you experience a writer's block, just relax and don't force the inspiration to come.

8. Does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

Definitely. A part of her personality was built based on my own personality so yes, we do share a few similarities.

9. What's something you believe would draw in new readers?

Although there's a saying that goes, "don't judge a book by its cover", having a good cover is still very important. I also think a good blurb and participating in contests can draw in new readers.

10. Do you have any future projects?

Definitely but first, I have to finish this book.