A showcase with @Ordinary77, author of The waves that follow

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

I was watching a Netflix limited series and I was deeply moved by it. The main character is assaulted and no one believes her. It ends with her standing on the waves as she creates a new life for herself. The series focuses on the investigation more than the main character. There isn't a lot of insight into her inner feelings. I wanted to write a story that advocated for those who have gone thorough such a trauma as this and I thought, 'What would happen if the character was believed by those she loved the most? Would it help her have a smoother recovery? What goes inside someone's head after a trauma and can they get better?' With that, I came up with The Waves That Follow.

 2 what was something you struggled with for your story ? 

I struggled rereading the particularly intense scenes to edit and I also started to overthink a lot because I didn't want to publish anything that wasn't 100% my best. In the beginning, I didn't think anyone would read it because it deals with such heavy topics, I'm glad I was wrong. 

3 what has been the overall response to your story from your readers?

My have been super encouraging. A lot of them expressed to me that they could feel the intense emotions themselves. I wouldn't be where I am without their endless support and feedback.

 4 what did you enjoy writing most of your story

I loved writing scenes when Michael comes into play. Without spoiling, Amy starts to discover how to live life again. I love writing their journey together because both of them are very imperfect but help each other in very distinct ways.

is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series

My novel is a stand-alone at the moment

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story

I'd love my readers to have hope in a better future. Life doesn't always go as planned, but it's important to persevere. No matter how bleak life seems, there is still good and you can get through anything. Romans 8:28.

7 what's a piece of advice you would provide to another writer, when it comes to focusing on their story?

Don't rush yourself. Let the ideas come naturally. Write what you want and be happy with what you have written, because it is unique.

 8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself

Amy and I are similar in a few different ways. She is very stubborn and likes to keep everything inside. I tend to bottle up my emotions and spill everything later. She also finds it hard to trust people because she has been burned before.

9 what's something you believe would draw in new readers?

Keep plot surprises in there and don't spoil your story. I like to keep my readers on edge at times to heighten the emotional experience.

 10 do you have any future projects?

I currently don't have any future projects. I'm starting university this fall so I am trying to finish this endeavor beforehand