A showcase with @amn1011, author of The Exception

1 What inspired the idea of your story?

My story was originally inspired by my current relationship at the time. However, it was also inspired by my friends. This made me connected to the characters, but also gave me the opportunity to build unique circumstances with each character. I was also inspired by the werewolf genre, but I didn't want my story to be the typical trope. I wanted to do something different with the story. This further inspired me to set my story apart in new ways that I might not have thought about normally.

2 What is something you struggled constructing with your story?

As I mentioned before, the story was originally inspired by my current relationship. However, when that relationship ended, it caused me to rethink my story a lot. I wasn't sure where to go with the story anymore or if I should risk changing my original vision. I struggled with how I felt about the character, knowing he was loosely based on my ex. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the character, while initially inspired by another person, had his own personality and character traits that didn't resemble my ex at all. This helped me to stop viewing my characters as idealized manifestations and as true characters separate from my own experience. Once I shifted my mindset, the story felt more alive and real than it ever did before. I no longer struggled with what to write and how to move forward because I knew where I wanted to take the story. That confidence allowed me to write with a renewed excitement!

3 What did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I definitely enjoyed writing the more psychological elements of the story. I've always been a fan of psychological horror and it was fun to play around with Aaron's character. Tapping into the character's fears was fun and interesting to write about. I also enjoyed subverting the tropes often found in werewolf stories. It allowed for more unique situations, for sure!

4 What's the overall response of your story from your readers?

Overall, I think people really enjoyed the story! I've also received a lot of helpful feedback that has helped me a ton in the editing process! Often, they point out things that I never even thought about! It really encourages me to keep writing and keep editing my story to make it the best that it can be.

5 Is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series?

Currently, it is a stand alone novel, but I am working on the sequel story, "The Deception" which I am super excited about!

6 What would you like your readers to take away from your story?

The heart of my story deals with overcoming the past and trying to be the "exception". While you could easily be angry and upset by all that has happened to you, you can choose to have the opposite reaction. If my readers should take anything away from my story, I want them to know that the past doesn't define them. Though you might continue to struggle, you should never stop fighting against the trauma you've faced. Because in the end, your experiences make you stronger.

7 What advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

I believe there is merit to giving yourself some leeway if you are struggling to write a section or a chapter. It's easy to be hard on yourself when you have writer's block and don't have the inspiration to write. Sometimes, having a change of pace can really help you build your confidence again. If I'm struggling with a particular section, I'll start writing another scene. I might even write on another story entirely. Forcing myself through a section has never worked out well for me and usually, I end up deleting the entire draft anyway. Letting your mind relax and focus on other things can often give you better ideas than you would have had otherwise. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and enjoy the writing process. If you enjoy what you're writing, your readers will also enjoy reading it.

8 Does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

We definitely share some similarities! For example, I struggle with cleithrophobia, the fear of being trapped, while my character has a fear of drowning. Writing the scene where she almost drowned was interesting because I was able to draw a bit from my own fear. Being trapped under the ice was terrifying for her and I was definitely able to sympathize with that.

9 What is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

I think the character dynamics are really fun and interesting. The chemistry between Selena and her best friend Jake is fun to play around with. I also feel like there are some exciting twists that make this different from other stories within the genre, but still has some sense of familiarity to it. It was definitely fun to write so I hope it is equally as fun to read!

10 Do you have any future projects?

I have a few projects in the future that I hope to finish once I've finished the sequel to my story. I have three different stories that I really want to continue called, "Movers", "The Touched", and "Delusions of Duplicity''. I also have a few ideas for other stories that I might write in the future if everything goes well!