A showcase with @NefertitiFenison, author of Looking for hope

1 what's inspired the idea of your story?

So, I have always hold this deep-seated fear that humanity is going to screw up real bad that we have to evacuate ourselves from this blue planet. I also have a what-if scenario going on with a friend of mine and the scenario is basically us imagining a future in which humans realize their mistakes regarding climate change but somehow are bound to repeat the same mistake. It is pessimistic, right? But even in the darkness there is always hope. So, that's how my book was conceived: to provide hope that even if there are humans who don't learn from history the youngster most definitely would. 

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

I  struggled (and still am struggling) with making the plot focused on just the effects of unregulated mining activities have on an endangered species. That was the initial storyline but the more I wrote the more my book became more character-driven instead of plot-driven.

3. What is something you enjoyed writing for your story?

 I enjoy fleshing out my characters! Each of them has their own unique personality and I feel like I have known them forever and that they are my dearest buddies. 

4  what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

I have received mixed reviews. Some readers don't like my very long chapters and my tendency to dump info here and there, which I can understand. Some readers think my characters are childish and don't behave their age or that the book feels rushed, which I can also understand. Those who love my book, though, they love it because they can relate to my characters and their friendships. 

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

It is supposed to be a duology but we will see. I am currently working on restructuring everything because there are some parts of my story I am not exactly happy with. 

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

 I want my readers to remember that kindness goes a long way. Most of my characters are kind to each other and that is how they survive in a world where they are sometimes unwanted by society. 

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

I would say write what makes you happy and write what you enjoy writing. Readers can tell if you are passionate about your stories or not. 

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

Yes, Nardho and Moira are pretty similar to how I am in real life. Nardho is a romantic who sees the good in people he cares about and that is how I treat those closest to me. Moira is a person with a lot of self-doubt who tries to feel belong and accepted. I am just like her, honestly--I constantly battle low self-esteem and my loved ones are my anchors. 

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

I believe the relationships between my characters would be the main appeal. 

10 do you have any future projects?

I plan to turn my novels into a stage play someday. Think of Shakespeare but not tragic and set in a distant solar system centuries from now instead of on Earth.