A showcase with @Tanya3231, author of Obey

1) what inspired the idea of your story

I've always loved the magic of manga and anime, so from a young age, I learned that writing allowed me to create new worlds where I could make the sometimes-illogical rules. The stories of "Inuyasha" by Rumiko Takahashi, "Her Majesty's Dog" by Mick Takeuchi, and "Yu Yu Hakusho" by Yoshihiro Togashi were just a few inspirations for my creation, "Obey". 

2) what was something you struggled with for your story? 

Something I struggled with for my story was how I wanted to write it. I couldn't decide if I wanted to write from a first-person or third-person perspective, or if I wanted to mix perspectives. Not knowing exactly how I wanted to write the story, of course, meant many, MANY rewrites.

 3) what has been the overall response to your story from your readers?

 Overall, people really seem to enjoy "Obey". Readers say they've never read a story like mine and that my ideas are unique. They seem really excited to see where I'll go with everything and love my narrator interjections, saying things like they feel that their picking my brain and getting a behind-the-scenes look at my writing's thought process.

4) what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

 I like how my story isn't the typical werewolf romance some people think it is upon first glance at the title. I get to play around with what people think, certain tropes, and what clues I leave as the story progresses. With "Obey" still being ongoing some of my favorite pieces have yet to be written in, but out of those that I have already written I have two that I really enjoyed and would like to call a tie between. My first chapter's first part, titled "Motley Crew", was a lot of fun since introducing all of my characters was hilarious. Getting through their various personalities was an adrenaline rush. Then, there's the first part of my third chapter, titled "Helpful Harley", where my main character's sister comes to her rescue with a metaphorical cape on her back and a willingness to kick butt and take names.

 5) is your story a stand-alone novel or a piece of a series? 

"Obey" is a stand-alone piece. I tend to stay away from writing series. They're just not my thing. 

6) what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

 I'd like readers to take away how my characters grew. With "Obey" having so many characters to choose from, I'd love it if someone could see a bit of themselves in one of them. I want readers to root for their favorite characters because of the connection they share with them. 

7) what's a piece of advice you would provide to another writer when it comes to focusing on their story?

 A piece of advice I would provide to another writer when it comes to focusing on their story is to write what brings you joy. Not everything you write will be to everyone's liking, but there is always someone out there willing to read your writing, you! Don't rob yourself of credit. Write what brings you joy, and readers will come. If you have confidence in what you write it'll show, and people will likely give your writing a chance. 

8) does your main character share any similarities to yourself? 

Oh goodness, yes! My boyfriend swears she's my carbon copy, haha. In reality, my character, Tina, and I only share the similarities of both being African American women who were raised on Long Island, New York, experienced college, and have a limitless amount of sarcasm.

 9) what's something you believe would draw in new readers?

 I think that me actually getting to the "meat and potatoes", the romance and active paranormal assignments my characters will soon experience, are what many of my readers, including new ones, are looking forward to. For those who are curious, these are coming within the next two or three chapters. ;) 

10) do you have any future projects? 

YES! Out the wazoo! I have five future projects that I've already started but have yet to finish. Once I'm done with "Obey" I'm going to pick up one of these. I'm working to complete all six of my works in the next three or four years.