five

05. The Reckoning

Stefan groaned and slowly opened his eyes, his neck was hurting from the amount of times Klaus and Rebekah had taken turns in snapping it.

"Ah, he lives" Rebekah said, walking over to Stefan with a still weak Aria by her side.

"What happened?" Stefan asked confused.

"You took a beating" Rebekah replied, "My brother's been breaking your neck all afternoon, quite the temper".

"How could you?" Stefan asked Aria, remembering that Aria told Klaus about Elena being alive.

"Don't" Rebekah warned, before Aria could defend herself, "Don't even look towards Ariana, otherwise I will do worse then just break your neck".

"I had to" Aria whispered, "I couldn't keep lying to him Stefan, it wasn't right".

"His going to kill her Aria" Stefan snapped.

"She's destined to kill Ariana, I'm surprised my brothers haven't ripped the cows heart out themselves" Rebekah snapped.

"Where's Klaus now?" Stefan asked.

"With any luck, ripping that cow's bloody head off" Rebekah replied.

Stefan glared at Rebekah and Aria, and before the girls could realise anything, Stefan speeded towards Aria and pulled her to the floor, not realising that Aria hadn't healed properly and he just made her pain much worse.

"Where is she Aria?" Stefan asked, his hand around Aria's neck, making it hard for her breath.

Rebekah grabbed the back of Stefan's shirt and threw him into the truck.

"Are you okay?" Rebekah asked, helping Aria stand.

"I'm fine" Aria whispered, looking at Stefan with teary eyes, she couldn't believe that once upon a time they used to be best friends, and now, all Stefan did was hurt her, Aria had thought that maybe one day, they could be friends again, but the way things were going, that thought was proving harder.

"My brother said I can't kill you, but he never said I couldn't hurt you" Rebekah said, punching Stefan in the face, she then grabbed a crowbar and shoved it in his stomach then snapped his neck.

***

"So how you feeling?" Tyler asked Caroline, "You know, after everything that happened with my Mom, which by the way, I'm sorry, I didn't know she was going to do that.".

Caroline sighed, "It's okay, you don't have to apologise, and I'm fine, my Mom and Damon have been helping me a lot".

"There's a but somewhere there" Tyler noted.

"But, these past two days, something doesn't feel right to me, like someone very close to me is in pain" Caroline said, putting honey on the doorknobs.

"Someone like Aria?" Tyler asked, giving Caroline a knowing look.

"Yeah" Caroline whispered, "I haven't seen her all summer, and I know she's with Klaus, I know he won't let anything happen to her, but I feel like something did happen, I just want her to come back home to me so I can protect her, she might be a powerful witch, but for me she will always be the girl who started crying when she saw two humming birds, humming together".