three

03. Bad Moon Rising

"Thanks for coming Ric" Damon said, leading Alaric into the living room, where Aria, Stefan and Elena were waiting for him, "Can I get you something to drink? Coffee, bourbon, bourbon in your coffee?".

"Elena and Aria mentioned you needed my help" Alaric replied, getting straight to the point.

"Yeah" Stefan said, "We were, uh, hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family".

Alaric looked between Stefan and Damon in confusion, not know where this was going.

"And why would I know anything about the Lockwoods?" Alaric asked.

"Well, you wouldn't" Damon started.

"But your ex wife Isobel might" Aria finished.

"Isobel's research from when you guys were at Duke together" Elena clarified.

"You said that she had spent years researching this town" Stefan said.

"Isobel's research here in Mystic Falls was rooted in folklore and legend" Alaric informed, "At the time, I thought most of which was fiction".

"Like that amazing vampire story" Damon mocked.

"Aside from vampires, what else?" Elena asked, ignoring Damon.

"The lycanthrope" Alaric replied.

Stefan and Damon looked at each other in confusion, not knowing what Alaric was on about.

"Werewolves" Aria whispered, fascinated with the fact that werewolves might be real.

"No way, impossible" Damon stated, "Way too Lon Chaney".

"Is it?" Stefan asked.

"I've been on this planet 160 some odd years, never come across one" Damon said, refusing to believe something like werewolves could exist, "If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?".

"Maybe you haven't come across them because they have been in Mystic Falls this entire time, a place both you and your brother have avoided for quiet some time" Aria pointed out.

"Well why do you suspect the Lockwoods?" Alaric asked.

"Because vervain didn't affect the mayor on Founders Day, but the Gilbert device did" Damon replied, "And it affected his son Tyler".

"And at the school carnival, his Uncle Mason exhibited inhuman behavior when he fought one of the carnival workers" Stefan informed.

"We also saw his eyes glow yellow" Aria interjected.

"It suggested some sort of a supernatural entity" Stefan continued.

"We were hoping that Isobel's research could help us figure out what it is" Elena said.

"Well, all of her things are still at Duke" Alaric informed, "I mean, her office is still there, she's technically still missing".