Chapter Two

Inside the palace of Man Country, Wang Bao had shut himself in his study while his Mother had done the same in her own section of the palace. Mr Liu brought all of Wang Bao's meals as well as new books that had been ordered online. Seeing the prince in such a bad state Mr Liu's old heart hurt and he tried to coax Wang Bao out.

"My Prince, the weather is so nice today, shouldn't you head out for a walk. Your complexion is starting to turn transparent."

Despite his fragile appearance, Wang Bao's voice was stern.

"The War between both countries started 8 days ago, do you think they are close to finishing or will this fight last a few more days?"

Mr Liu's coaxing words were caught in his throat as he watched over the prince. It was obvious Wang Bao was anxious about his brother's return but he tried to hide it by reading and eating. Wang Bao suddenly looked up from the page he couldn't bring himself to focus on.

"If there isn't anything else you can leave now."

Mr Liu bowed before making his way to the door, his old hand was about to twist the handle when the door was pushed open violently. Mr Liu's brother, Old Liu and General Pan gasped for air as they bowed towards the prince. Wang Bao paid no attention to them as he rushed over to Mr Liu.

"Are you alright? What is the cause for this barbaric ac- Old Liu what are you doing here? Has my brother returned? There was no signal by the outer city guards to signify his return."

Old Liu helped steady his brother out of sympathy for his abrupt entrance before he handed over the letter. Wang Bao wanted to swiftly break the seal but General Pan spoke quickly.

"Reporting to Prince Bao. Giant country has retreated after the disappearances of Prince Nakai and General Nera of Giant Country as well as King Lei of Man country."

Wang Bao let go of Mr Liu and stumbled backwards; Seeing how the colour had drained from Wang Bao's face, all three men rushed forward to help the Prince sit down. Wang Bao asked in a panicked high pitch voice.

"Wh-Who else knows of this? Has Mother been told?"

Old Liu was quick to answer while his brother rubbed Wang Bao's back.

"No, the only other people who know are the remaining squadron that was under Prince Nakai's command, one of our soldiers and General Pan. I was already halfway back to the palace when General Pan contacted me."

Wang Bao's eyes instantly fell on the panicked General, urging him to continue with whatever information he had. General Pan's voice was rushed as he shut his eyes to relay everything properly.

"I was ordered to stay behind in the camp via a letter from the King, but I couldn't stand to be the only soldier there while everyone else defended our land. After the second day, I left for the battle site and... And everyone was dead. I tried to find the King but there was no trace of him. It was only after searching for half a day, I was able to find one living soldier from our side but the soldier knew as much as I did."

Wang Bao tried to catch his breath as he processed everything. His mind felt both numb and pained.

"What about Prince Nakai? Are we sure he is missing?"

General Pan continued telling his story, his voice becoming more frantic.

"Prince Nakai was leading the largest squadron through the clearing but apparently all of a sudden, halfway through the battle the Giant's retreated. The injured soldier and I were able to come across a working earpiece from a deceased Giant soldier. With it we heard about the news of Prince Nakai and General Nera."