Chapter Thirty Nine

Kang was on the verge of tears as he spoke in a hoarse voice, the trembling in his hands worsening.

"Lani, is it really you?"

The other end of the phone was silent until Lani managed to stutter out, clearly confused and shocked by the sound of his Father.

"Dad...How did you...Why....Are you and Rana okay?"

Lani didn't know what to say as he tried to come to terms with his Father being in the same room as Nakai, as well as on the phone. Before Lani or Kang could properly speak with each other, Rana swiftly snatched the phone from his Dad and shouted through the receiver, not afraid if his actions caused his brother to hang up.

"Are we okay?! You dare ask that after six years?! What was going through your head that day, you idiot?! Did you really think it was okay to leave like that?!"

Kang abruptly took the phone back from his son before he could fully portray his feelings, and he heard Lani sigh before saying.

"I wasn't thinking properly. I'm sorry."

Lani's words weren't good enough for Rana and he threw his chair back before storming out of the room, heading down another tunnel with quick steps. Ala had been busy eating the juicy meat like her brother and Zhang, but when Rana stormed off, she finished the food that was in her hand before rolling her eyes and followed after him. Wang Bao was also over taken by hunger and he ate a large slice of the meat the size of his head quickly, making sure to stay focused on the phone call as well; this was hard thought since the meat was glistening with savoury juices and Wang Bao's stomach currently felt like a black hole. Nakai wasn't interested in the food but he pulled one of the plates closer to Wang Bao, making it easier for him to eat. Despite Wang Bao eating loudly beside him and the phone being taken off of speaker, Nakai could still hear Lani's voice through the phone. Now that Kang had the phone back in his hand, Kang couldn't hold his tears and he wiped his wrinkled cheeks with his leathery hands while saying.

"Let's not talk about that anymore, where are you now? Have you been living well?"

When Lani replied to his Father's question, it was clear he was crying as well.

"I've been well. I was picked up by a fishing ship not long after I left so I had a place to live. They're good people and they've been treating me well."

Kang didn't mind that Lani didn't tell him where he currently was because hearing that his son had been okay for the past six years was enough. Kang cleared his throat quickly before replying to Lani, a lightness in his voice when he spoke.

"That's good, I was so worried you would be going hungry or living in poverty....Lani, when are you coming home? Don't mind your brother's temper either, you know he misses you."

The other end was silent until Lani finally spoke calmly.

"I'll come see you and Rana soon. I had an accident not too long ago because of a job and I can't walk for another month. Once I'm fully healed, I'll come see you two and explain everything."

Kang was worried after hearing his son was injured, but Lani was able to calm his Father before any serious worrying could happen. For the next thirty minutes, Kang and Lani spoke while everyone else waited quietly. By the time the phone call had ended, Rana and Ala were walking back to the table. Rana's anger had clearly gone down and he started refilling the empty plate with more roasted meat. With the phone call finished, Kang slid Nakai's phone back across the table before leaning back in his chair. Despite being relieved to hear from his son, Kang looked to have aged ten years. It was only once Rana sat back down at the table with the full plates that Kang started talking, his voice rather quiet and tired.