Chapter Thirty One

Nakai and Alo moved along the tree line to get a closer look at the stables. They both crouched down to the ground, and watched as the old man from earlier beat a young woman with a thick stick. Her pale skin was blue from both the cold and bruising. Beside the old man, the old woman shouted angrily, her face almost bursting from how red it had become.

"Did I say you could change back?! You think your work is done because the sun has gone down?!"

The woman cried out from the intense pain as she tried to protect herself, but was failing miserably. Nakai quickly scanned the area, but he saw only more enslaved Werebeasts being kept in the stables with chains. Alo was already wanting to run out and stop the brutal beating, but he was held back silently. With one hand on Alo's shoulder firmly, Nakai grabbed his gun swiftly, and shot the old man through the head. Because his gun made no sound, the old woman was yet to react when she was also shot through the back of her head. Before both bodies could hit the ground, Alo was sprinting over to the unconscious woman. While Alo worked on helping the Werebeasts' outside, Nakai made his way to the back of the house, using the dense tree line to stay hidden.

Around the back, the back door was being hidden by a broad Werebeast holding a gun; staying hidden, Nakai shot the Werebeast before running over, catching his falling body before it could make any noise. Nakai left the body bleeding out on the ground, and he silently made his way inside. Stepping through the mud room, Nakai entered a large kitchen with a small dining table in the corner, opposite the table was a closed door. Through the crack at the bottom of the door leading to the main part of the house, a warm yellow light shone through. Faint murmuring could be heard from a different direction of the room, and Nakai found a second door beside the pantry, leading into the living area. The door was slightly ajar, allowing Nakai to glance inside. A group of Werebeast men and women sat around a long table while talking happily, he saw more Werebeast inside as well but they were in their human form with chains around their ankles. It looked like a sale was happening, and Nakai lifted his gun again. Before he aimed through the crack in the door, he heard a shout from behind and spun around.

A young Werebeast threw a knife at Nakai but it was caught mid air, followed by Nakai lunging into the mud room. Before any more noise could be made, Nakai covered the young man's mouth and pushed the knife deep into his chest. Working quickly Nakai dragged both dead bodies to the tree line before heading back to Alo.

In the stables, Alo was busy dressing the unconscious woman in the clothes of the elderly lady; her bruised skin was ice cold, but he was relieved to see she was still breathing. Once the woman was taken care of, Alo moved towards the other stables. There were two other brown horses, along with three goats. At first the Werebeasts had been scared of Alo, thinking he was a potential buyer and they were hesitant to trust him. It wasn't until they saw how gently Alo was taking care of the woman, that they changed back into their human form one by one. Moving between the stables, Alo quickly unlocked the padlocks on the chains with the keys that were on the old man's belt. Unlike the elderly woman, the old mans' clothes were filthy and covered in blood, there were also no other clothes to be seen. Alo raced around the stable quickly to find anything that could keep them warm, until he finally found a large brown canvas tarp. Alo handed the tarp to a large Werebeast who was also a horse, before carrying the unconscious woman over to them. With all the Werebeasts in one stable, Alo walked back to the dead bodies while saying quietly.

"Hide in the stable. Try to keep warm and don't come out until I say."

Alo grunted quietly while pulling the old people away, and he could hear the people in the stable thank him quietly. Once in the tree line, Alo saw Nakai motioning for him to head over to the tree line beside the house. Once Alo was crouched beside Nakai, they looked at the house. Nakai pointed to the room close to the back.