Chapter Forty One

Luka and Mika were both asleep when their carriage swerved to the left violently. As soon as the carriage swerved again both Zhang and Alo felt the hairs on their bodies stand on end, causing them to look at one another suspiciously. Mika was still in Alo's arms, sound asleep and Zhang checked outside; his vision only took a few seconds to adjust to the dark of the night, and in the distance behind the trees he saw large feline-like animals sprinting towards them. Without hesitation, Zhang ripped the curtain away from the window while saying in a cold voice.

"Get Luka and Mika on the floor."

Alo instantly pulled the blanket from Luka and threw it to the floor before laying both sleeping siblings down, covering them with the blanket; he then laid himself over top of them as a barrier. In front of them, Zhang kicked the door open just as a large snow tiger lunged at their carriage. Once one tiger was kicked away another jumped towards them, but instead of kicking the beast away, he lunged his body out of the carriage to attack the large animal head on. Zhang's body landed on the giant sized head of the snow tiger, and he quickly shoved his fingers through their black eyes. With the absence of Zhang and the door, the carriage was left in the open and another large tiger jumped towards them. The snow tiger succeeded in ramming the carriage, causing the carriage to roll against the snow violently before being thrown into a thick tree. Before the two wolves pulling the carriage could be dragged with the carriage, they clawed at their harnesses and escaped just in time.

Thankfully Alo had been able to push his arms and legs against the bench seats in the carriage, allowing him to hold Mika and Luka in place while the carriage rolled then collided into the tree. Because of the violent spinning motion, both Mika and Luka woke up with scared eyes. Alo didn't waste any time and covered their bodies with the fur blankets while speaking in a quick but serious voice.

"We're being attacked, stay quiet and don't move."

As soon as Alo spoke, the loud howls from the wolves could be heard. Mika and Luka both felt it would be safer in their beast form and they quickly changed. Alo was bleeding on his wrist and he used his blood to cover their scent by dripping it all over the blankets and their clothes. Once he couldn't smell any mink scent, Alo stepped out of the carriage. He was on high alert and punched a tiger on the nose before kicking the beast into the ground with a dull thud. Alo could see no other tigers coming to attack him yet, and he took the opportunity to take in their surroundings.

Zhang was busy fighting tigers left and right while Nakai was a few ten metres ahead of Alo; he had already triggered his armour cuff while he shot any tiger that tried to get close to their carriage. Wang Bao was lying unconscious inside their own carriage since he had been thrown against the wall when the tigers hit their carriage. Nakai had already triggered Wang Bao's armour as well but he wasn't about to move away from the carriage and leave him unprotected. Scattered around the fight area, the five wolves didn't stand idle either as they tore chunks of flesh from the tigers. Unlike Zhang and Alo, the wolves could sense something was wrong with these Werebeasts, but there was no way to help them since they were completely blinded by rage. As Alo watched the scene in front of him carefully, he found a group of tigers running in from behind Nakai and he quickly ran forward; Nakai had also noticed them and he shot one last tiger before reaching towards his thigh. Nakai quickly threw his thick bladed knife towards Alo, who sliced the neck of a tiger that dived towards him. Alo didn't stop there as he spun on his heel and threw the heavy knife at another tiger trying to attack from behind.

While Alo protected Nakai's back and Zhang continued to attack from the middle, the five wolves spread out to cover their perimeter. They wanted to lessen the amount of tigers the others would need to fight, but the tigers seemed to keep coming from every angle. All five of the wolves' grey fur was now a dark shade of red from all of the blood while a pungent metallic scent clung to the air; they could also smell a slight floral smell in the air but it was the wrong season for flowers on the mountain. With the wolves struggling to deal with the constant onslaught of tigers, the result of the attack seemed dire. Just when things started to go downhill for them, the wolves caught the scent of another pack.