Chapter Eighty

The child cried himself to sleep on Wang Lei's lap and he slowly stood up from the roof, Nera and Nakai had gone looking for anyone else that may have hidden away from the mass killing, so far they had found no one else and returned to the bottom of the apartment when they saw Wang Lei climbing down the ladder. When they met up, Nera took the child from Wang Lei since he was pressing on his wounds and causing Wang Lei pain. Nakai looked at the palace standing in the distance, he could only see it because of the few lanterns lighting the exterior but aside from that, it was dark like the city.

"A small group of troops are meeting us closer to the palace while the others are going to surround the palace and wait for my orders."

Wang Lei hummed before looking up and down the street they were standing on. Nera already saw the look in his eye and quietly talked to him.

"Nakai and I looked already, we couldn't find anyone else."

"You don't know that. Did you expect to find him?"

Nera sighed and rubbed Wang Lei's shoulder with one of his hands. Even if they did decide to continue searching the city, they didn't have time and the three of them all knew it. Before any arguments could start, they all moved away from the apartment and made their way to the palace, they ran along the streets quietly but not as fast as before in case there were other people that needed their help. Once they were two streets away, they slowed down and waited for the back up. Wang Lei looked around, he had never seen his home in such a state before.

"I feel like we've stepped into a ghost town, even at night the palace was never this quiet or dark."

Not too far away, they could hear slow footsteps followed by a small group of other people walking, they weren't concerned since they knew these were Nakai's men but Nakai was unsure about the snail among them. Once the group rounded the corner, Wang Lei saw a familiar silhouette. Before he could get a good look, the person called out to him, his voice aged but warm.

"I'm glad to see you are well my King."

"Old Liu?"

The old man laughed heartily and quickened his slow steps while holding his arms open. Wang Lei practically collapsed onto Old Liu and hugged him as hard as his torso allowed him, when Old Liu felt Wang Lei wince, he pulled away and looked Wang Lei up and down.

"Maybe not as well as I thought, what happened?"

:"Oh, just Wang Xei again."

Old Liu made a sour face before getting back to the task at hand.

"I had to go into hiding once Prince Bao had left and I've been keeping tabs on Queen Mother, why don't we go inside and chat about it."

Nakai pointed at the palace.

"You mean in there.'

"Of course, there are only servants in there now, Queen Mother and Wang Xei left with my Brother and Prince Bao almost four days ago now. There is word of Queen Mother coming back soon so I think it's best if the palace is on our side rather than hers."

Old Liu patted Wang Lei forward and everyone walked through the unguarded gates of the palace, although it was the darkest hour of the night, they could see changes had been made to the grounds. Queen Mother had always had a section of land to grow her flowers while the rest was designed by the late King but now the whole courtyard area and walkways were overgrown with plants, the thick scent was hard to take in, making it difficult to breathe. Nera scrunched his nose while he leaned in close to Wang Lei.

"I can see why you forbid plants with a scent back home. You had to live in this place?"

"It wasn't like this before."