Chapter Forty Three

Nakai followed behind Mana calmly. He remembered the path from the main hall to the clinic but they weren't headed towards the hall; Instead, they walked deeper into the mountain. They walked so far that the temperature around them changed; the air felt cold while the rock corridors seemed darker. Nakai felt the fluorescent lights were too out of place, giving out too white of a light to feel natural. They had been walking in silence for a while, and Mana finally spoke, her voice slightly eerie as she continued to look forward.

"You aren't scared, are you?"

It had been a while since Nakai felt true fear and he couldn't help but scoff at the question before answering plainly.

"No."

They continued to walk down the rocky corridor in silence until they finally came up to a thick metal door; Nakai could see a key card was needed for entry, and Mana pulled a card out from her pocket, swiping it before pushing the heavy door open. Mana continued to not explain anything and she walked inside the dimly lit room. Inside, Nakai could see the room was more like an entryway into another room. Nakai already had his guard up and he followed Man through another door; the two of them entered a large study. At one end of the room was an old wooden desk, but Mana chose to sit in an armchair close to the door they walked through, with a sofa sitting opposite for Nakia to sit in.

. . . . . . .

Wang Bao heard the door open behind him and he swiftly looked over his shoulder. His heart pounded in his ears as he thought the doctor or someone else had come to talk to him, but he was able to breathe a sigh of relief when he saw Alo. At first Alo didn't recognise the person slumped on the ground, but he quickly realised that it was Wang Bao and he asked a series of questions while walking forward.

"What are you doing up? Are you all better now? Where's Nakai?"

Alo looked around the room in case someone else was present but he was suddenly tackled by Wang Bao into a tight hug. Alo held his arms up awkwardly, unsure of what was happening but he slowly lowered his arms to pat Wang Bao's back lightly. When Wang Bao finally pulled away, obvious relief was on his face while he explained in a rushed voice.

"Mana and Nakai left together, saying they needed to talk in private about some poison, but before he left Nakai gave me this. I didn't know who had written this so I thought that it might've been you."

Alo felt his hairs stand on edge at the mention of Nakai leaving with Mana and he ripped the note open, scanning through the string of words. Alo processed everything for only a few seconds before turning around to search through the cupboards. Wang Bao didn't know what he was doing and kept an eye on the door, asking in a panicked voice as he peeked through the small glass panel.

"Why are you searching through the cupboards? We should find Nakai then leave."

Alo pulled out tubes of antibacterial cream and gauze, stuffing them into Nakai's pack before finally finding the small cans of magical medicine. He answered Wang Bao while stuffing can after can into Nakai's pack.

"If we try to leave empty handed then we won't be able to step foot into the main hall, besides, we need to find Kang's wolves. Since they are in the dungeons that means they are injured or locked up. If we want to make it to Kang's in one piece, we need them to be in good health."

Alo quickly closed the cupboards and zipped Nakai's pack when Wang Bao ran over to him, pointing at the door frantically with a scared expression. Without wasting any time, Alo pulled Wang Bao's shirt off and replaced it with his old dressing gown. While Wang Bao quickly got back into the bed, Alo shoved their bags back under the bed then ran down the room towards the toilets.