Chapter Thirty Six

Nakai and Ala led the rest of the group up the mountain, following the overgrown snow covered dirt road; the snow helped give slip to the sled, aiding in pulling the frozen and preserved meat. On the left side of the sled was Alo and Mika while Wang Bao was on the other side, leaving Zhang and Luka to close the rear. Having the sled covered on all fours, allowed for the chance of losing the food to decrease to zero. While walking at a medium speed, Wang Bag watched Ala making light conversation with Nakai; every now and then they would laugh together happily, and the sight annoyed him. He couldn't do anything though since Nakai and Ala were walking too fast and he wouldn't be able to catch up, even though he tried. Although the snow helped Nakai pull the sled, it was tiring to walk on for Luka. His body was yet to recover but he didn't want to fall behind, and he continued to push his tired legs harder. Zhang made sure to keep pace with Luka, just in case he fell over or was left behind. Although Zhang didn't mind slowing down his usual fast pace, it got to a point where every step for him was three for Luka. A large gap had formed between them and the sled, and Zhang quickly asked.

"Luka, do you want me to carry you? Once you've rested you can continue walking."

Luka knew he was being too slow, but he was also too stubborn to accept any help. Ignoring the pain in his body, Luka clenched his teeth and fists tightly then replied to Zhang.

"No, I'm fine."

Mika had also noticed Luka was slowing down, and he made sure to stop every few steps to wait for Luka; he was still feeling guilty for Luka's condition because he had been the one to cause it, and he didn't want to leave his brother to suffer on his own. Mika's stopping also meant Alo would stop, and it didn't take long for a large gap to be caused between them and Nakai as well. Wang Bao was lost in his own head thinking about Nakai, when he noticed Alo and Mika were no longer beside him and he stopped. Behind him, Wang Bao couldn't see Zhang or Luka because of the bend in the road and he called out to Nakai.

"Wait! The others have fallen behind."

Nakai instantly dropped the ropes from his shoulders and handed them to Ala to prevent the sled from slipping. Wang Bao's cheeks were red from the walk; he wanted to walk down and see if everyone was okay, but he was stopped by Nakai and instructed to stay put. Ala and Wang Bao waited while Nakai walked down the way they had come. Around the bend Luka was on the snowy ground; he had clearly fallen over but was refusing help, wanting to get up on his own. Nakai didn't bother to walk fast and he watched as Luka threw a fistful of snow at Zhang's face, not wanting his help. While Zhang stepped away in shock from the sudden snow attack, Alo knelt down to help Luka, but he was given the same treatment. Once Nakai arrived, Mika was crouched down beside his brother, tears in his eyes as he tried to convince Luka to accept the help. Zhang walked back to Luka, remnants of snow still on his face as he crouched down, wanting to pick Luka up whether he wanted the help or not. Before Zhang could do anything, Nakai spoke in a stern voice.

"Leave him; all of you carry on up to the sled. I'll bring Luka."

After Nakai gave the order everyone followed without refute. Both Alo and Zhang walked away while wiping the snow from their face, and Mika hesitantly moved forward, looking back at his brother every few steps. Without saying anything, Nakai squatted beside Luka but he didn't say anything. Luka was kneeling on all fours causing his arms to shake from his weight, but his voice was strong and stubborn.

"I'm sorry, Nakai. I won't take too long of a rest, then I'll be able to stand up and continue soon."

Luka heaved loudly as he tried to stand up but his arms weren't strong enough to push himself up. Nakai continued to stay beside Luka silently, he made no move to help despite the obvious struggle Luka was having; after a few minutes of constant struggle, Luka was able to stand up. His legs were shaky, but Luka still tried to take a step forward; while crouched down, Nakai finally did something and pressed his large hand against Luka's shoulder tenderly. Instead of ordering Luka, Nakai spoke in a stern but gentle voice.