Chapter Ninety Nine

Starting the next day, Wang Lei ordered Nakai to help him make preparations for when he would pass the crown on, as well as when they would leave for the Big island. Because the work discussion needed to be completed in Wang Lei's study, it meant Wang Bao had to be left with Hera in his room. Mr Liu was back to being glued to Wang Bao's side since Nakai's absence would last the whole day and Wang Bao wasn't able to carry Hera for long periods of time now. Wang Bao's insides were mostly healed and he was given the okay by the doctor to hold Hera again but in the time it took him to heal, Hera had grown to weigh 26 pounds. Wang Bao wasn't used to holding such weight for so long and his arms always felt like giving out after the two minute mark.

Another fear of Wang Bao's was that Hera would begin to hate him since he hadn't been able to hold her for so long but it looked to be the opposite. Wang Bao found Hera loved to be held by him and would always calm down in his arms, however when Wang Bao needed to take a break from her weight and put her down or hand her to Mr LIu, she would scream and shriek as if she was being murdered. The shrill sound of Hera's voice in this moment would always cause Wang Bao to turn cold and his breath would become stuck in his throat. Wang Bao didn't know why he had such a strong reaction to the sound since everyone else seemed to have no reaction other than try to soothe the crying baby.

Wang Bao was in his living room with Rara and Karo, they were eating lunch that Nakai had made ahead of time while Mr Liu carried the sleeping baby to her bed. To get his body back to its previous state, Wang Bao was trying to stick to a strict diet of mainly fruits and vegetables with only boiled meat but Nakai didn't like the diet and made sure to cook no boiled meats. Instead, on the table were rice bowls with barbecued meats and fried fish on the side. Wang Bao was enjoying the meal happily when the sound of Hera's horrific crying burst into the room. Instantly, Wang Bao lost his appetite as his hands began to tremble. Mr Liu opened the door and came over but Wang Bao already knew what he had to do and left the room.

Inside his room, Hera was shrieking so loudly that the sound was becoming distorted in Wang Bao's ears. Wang Bao stood beside the baby's bed and reached inside to pull Hera out. All he had to do was bounce her gently on his hip to get her calm down enough to realise Wang Bao was holding then she would stop crying. Wang Bao felt his breath return as soon as Hera cooed up at him. Her round cheeks along with her pouty lip and black eyes made her look too cute but all Wang Bao could see was his Mother, he had tried to force himself to see his own face or even better, the face of his own daughter but he couldn't.

Although Hera had his Mother's face, Wang Bao worked hard to force the feeling of dread away and he felt he could somewhat control it now. As he looked at his daughter, Wang Bao hummed a light song that came to his mind and began to walk around the room, Hera had both of her fists in Wang Bao's hair and smiled with a gummy smile until her eyes began to droop again, Wang Bao's arms were aching as he continued to hum and walk until Hera finally fell asleep. Wang Bao moved with extreme care as he lowered Hera down into her bed again. When he walked back to the table where the two boys and Mr Liu were still eating, Wang Bao's appetite hadn't yet returned. Wang Bao sipped on water until Mr Liu cleared away the food and dishes when Hera began screaming the roof down again. Rara and Karo looked to be sick of it as well and they went outside after layering up with their jackets, Mr Liu offered to try and soothe Hera but Wang Ba knew it was useless and he stood up, walking back into his room.

. . . . . . .

Over the course of the next few days, Wang Bao was becoming more and more affected by Hera. Her crying seemed to never end once it started and the time between her outbreaks were becoming shorter and shorter. Rara and Karo had become so sick of hearing it, that they stopped visiting during the day, only coming by once Nakai was back. This meant it was only him and Mr Liu alone together. Wang Bao and Mr Liu were eating dinner silently while Wang Bao held Hera. He was able to prop her against his belly while she sat on his lap in order to eat. Something was chewing at the back of Wang Bao's mind since returning to the palace and because him and Mr Liu were alone, he decided to bring it up.