Chapter Twenty

Wang Bao was sitting on the top deck staring up at the moon, it was almost full and its silvery light was shining on the calm black sea. He tried to hold back tears after thinking of his Mother and Father, but was failing. Nakai slowly walked out onto the deck, and saw Wang Bao sitting on a bench near the front of the boat. He had checked their bedroom first but didn't find Wang Bao, making him check up here. Walking over to the young man, Nakai said in a quiet voice.

"You'll get sick if you stay out here too long."

Nakai sat beside Wang Bao, looking out to the pitch black horizon. He could hear Wang Bao's sniffles but made no comment and continued to stare out at the water. Wang Bao didn't want to cry in front of Nakai, and he rubbed at his wet face roughly then cleared his throat.

"Ehm, have you met my Mother or Father during your travels through Man Country?"

Nakai looked at Wang Bao briefly before looking back at the dark water, talking with the same quiet voice as before.

"I met your Father but it was in Giant Country... He was a kind man. As for your Mother, I've heard a lot of stories thanks to Wang Lei but I have never had the pleasure of meeting her."

Wang Bao suddenly stood up and leaned his back against the railing of the ship, his voice was quiet because of the wind but Nakai could hear it.

"Whilst being on this trip, I've found out that my Father has been to many places, more than I could have imagined. It also seems like everyone has nothing but good things to say about him. So many people loved him yet he was forced to marry someone that hated him, in turn her hatred was also aimed at me."

Nakai walked over to the railing, his voice had a sense of warmth Wang Bao hadn't heard before.

"You should know that your Father was kind but not naive or simple minded, he knew your Mother was a bad person but he had his reasons for living the life he did. We can't go back and change all the bad things that have happened to us or to the people we love, but we can learn and grow stronger because of them. You've been through more than you let on, it's okay to let it out Wang Bao."

Wang Bao felt Nakai pat his head softly and he looked up, Nakai was avoiding his gaze as he continued to pat his head. Nakai noticed Wang Bao's gaze wasn't moving, and he said with a hint of embarrassment.

"Don't look at me."

Wang Bao lightly laughed as he stood on his tippy toes, staring at Nakai harder. Nakai quickly removed his hand from Wang Bao's head, and turned away from the man's face before he continued looking out to sea. Although Nakai's face couldn't be seen by Wang Bao, he was sure he saw a held back smile on the Giant's face. The pain in his chest fading, Wang Bao kept playing around with Nakai to get his attention, but the Giant kept averting his eyes. Laughing happily, Wang Baod stood on a small step the railing was attached to, he tried to grab Nakai's shoulder's to turn the Giant but his foot slipped. He was in no danger of falling off the ship but Nakai still pulled Wang Bao closer, his large hands resting on Wang Bao's back firmly. Wang Bao let out a scared gasp before saying awkwardly.

"Hehe, You looked at me."

Wang Bao's hands were still resting on Nakai's shoulders while his cheeks burned, the familiar yet unfamiliar feeling he felt with Nakai a couple weeks ago began to burn in his chest. Nakai squeezed Wang Bao's waist gently before letting go, clearing his throat while walking away. Wang Bao stared at Nakai's back with a dumb expression until he heard the Giant say.

"It's getting cold, let's head back."

Oh. Wang Bao felt his chest, he could feel his heartbeat thumping against his hand quickly. By the time he had made it to the first lower deck, Nakai was nowhere to be seen. Wang Bao wanted to get a glass of water to cool his body when Rara came sprinting down the hallway.