Chapter Sixty

The next morning, Erin and Lin were the first to wake; they had made sandwiches the night before for everyone to eat on the trip to the other safe house, and while they escorted the group of werebeasts down to the buses with the triplets. In the main area of the house, everyone except for Nakai and Wang Bao were eating a light snack while they waited for the couple to join them. Although they had gone to bed before everyone else, Wang Bao was yet to wake up while Nakai was already dressed, and waiting patiently for Wang Bao to get ready. It was a few more minutes until Wang Bao woke up on his own, and when he rolled over half asleep, Nakai could see his eyes were swollen from crying in his sleep. Seeing this made Nakai's heart hurt, but he couldn't find the words to comfort Wang Bao. After saying good morning, Nakai watched as Wang Bao walked out towards the bathroom, returning with a damp hairline, meaning Wang Bao had tried to get rid of the swelling with cold water. Although the puffiness had gone down a little, it was still obvious he had been crying most of the night.

When the couple finally made it out to the dining room, everyone could see the tension between Wang Bao and Nakai. After Nakai had gone to check on Wang Bao after dinner, everyone thought the couple had worked through things, but it was clear they had more problems to work through than Nakai's jealousy. After saying a quiet good morning to everyone, Nakai and Alo walked at the front of the group, heading down the long metal stairs. By the time they made it to the tunnel, Erin and Lin were heading towards the stairs and bid everyone goodbye. The triplets were already waiting for them, with Roa driving the shuttle van while his brothers were managing a bus each. Ever since walking into the dining room, Mika and Luka had been asking Wang Bao if he was okay, but all he could muster as an answer was a light smile and nod, but on the inside he was reeling. His bad dreams had caused him to feel worse than yesterday, and it wasn't helping that Nakai wasn't talking to him. All Wang Bao wanted to do was reach out and hold Nakai's hand, but didn't know if Nakai wanted to.

Alo and Nakai didn't linger when talking to Erin or Lin, and once the quick goodbyes and thank yous were said, the group stepped into the large van with Nakai and Wang Bao seated together near the door. While everyone got comfortable for the short ride, Roa turned the key and signalled to his brothers that everyone was ready. As they started to pull forward, Roa said happily to everyone.

"The drive won't take too long, an hour tops. At the next safe house, they should have a proper meal set up for everyone."

Nobody replied to Roa's statement, causing him to briefly look over his shoulder. He noticed that Wang Bao was leaning against the door window, looking at the lights with a dull expression while Nakai looked straight ahead. He didn't need to look at anyone else to feel the thick tension in the van, and instead of saying anything, he looked forward. Slowly the van picked up speed, until the lights no longer looked motion censored, and Wang Bao closed his eyes since they were becoming sore from the fluorescent lights. Although he was still tired after not having a well rested sleep, Wang Bao's mind was racing with things he wanted to ask Nakai but he didn't know when the best time to ask them was.

Next to Wang Bao, Nakai was also struggling with a busy mind. Nakai had always prided himself on being confident and sure about everything he did, but now that he was faced with a question that Wang Bao couldn't answer, he was beginning to feel insecure about their future. Their relationship didn't start off great, and there were still heavy secrets between them thanks to Wang Lei, but Nakai knew he couldn't shift all of the blame easily. He had done things to Wang Bao that were irreversible now, and his actions had the potential to cause eternal hatred from Wang Bao. By the time the van was slowing down to a stop, Wang Bao had fallen asleep, and Nakai could feel a headache coming on from the constant thinking. Before anyone else could wake Wang Bao, Nakai slowly leaned over and smoothed out the slight frown between his brows, causing Wang Bao to jolt awake. Thanks to the short nap, Wang Bao's swelling had gone down a little more, giving him a more cute look than painfully sad. Seeing Wang Bao like this, Nakai wanted to lean closer and kiss him deeply, but he held back his affection and whispered under his breath to Wang Bao instead.