Chapter Thirty Three

It seemed that the gods were against Nakai and Wang Bao reaching where they wanted to go. Overnight, the heavy snowfall turned into a light snow storm. By the time everyone woke up, the ground was covered in another few feet of snow, making it hard to open the front and back door. While breakfast was cooking, Zhang, Alo and Nakia worked tirelessly to shovel the snow in order to make a couple paths. One path went from the back door to the back of the barn, another leading from the front door to the stables and a third one that led into the forest, just in case they needed to go hunting within the next few days. When the three men returned inside, the snowfall had ceased and the sun was beginning to shine through the heavy clouds.

In the kitchen Luka held Mika's hand as they slowly walked back to the living room. His body's condition had improved enough to no longer be carried everywhere, but Mika would be lying if he said there was no pain. Luka helped Mika sit on the sofa before laying down on his brother's lap, but unfortunately after sitting, Mika had to suddenly use the bathroom. Dreading the pain and blood, Mika started the slow walk down the hall alone. Luka had tried to tag along to help, but he had been quickly shut down and could only return to the sofa. After exiting the bathroom with a palace face, Mika glanced into the kitchen. Wang Bao had just delivered everyone's meal around the house, and he was leaning against Nakai's chest happily. Mika found his body glued to the spot as he continued to watch the close couple with an intense gaze. Inside the kitchen, Nakai spoke to Wang Bao softly, his hands running along Wang Bao's back like last night.

"The weather is changing faster than expected, and the journey over the mountain will take longer because of it. Paired with the task here, you won't be able to see Wang Lei for two months now."

Wang Bao shrugged it off, he had figured it would take longer than expected once the first snowfall hit. Wang Bao's mind wasn't on Wang Lei at the moment anyway, it was still haunted by what he had cleaned yesterday. Nakai's hands slowly moved from Wang Bao's back to his cheek, caressing the pale skin softly. He knew what Wang Bao was thinking about as well, but he was hesitant to tell him, lest he become more upset. As Wang Bao leaned into Nakai's hands, he couldn't help but ask in a low whisper.

"In that bedroom... Do you know what happened?"

At first Nakai didn't answer, but when he saw Wang Bao's deep black eyes looking up at him, he slowly told Wang Bao what he knew in a whisper. Mika was still watching quietly, unable to hear what Nakai was saying because of how quiet his voice had gotten. From behind, Alo came into the hallway from outside, he could see Mika lurking at the end of the hallway, peering into the kitchen. Walking towards him, Alo made sure to step a little louder than usual, and it only took a few steps for Mika to turn around, a complicated expression on his face. Before Mika could hurry off, Alo motioned towards the kitchen; he already knew Nakai and Wang Bao were inside the room, and he asked quietly.

"Why are you so interested in them? I saw you watching them last night too."

Instead of answering, Mika hurriedly stepped back, wanting to return to the living room but he moved too fast and lost his footing. Alo reacted quickly and caught Mika before he could fall. Feeling Alo's hands hold onto his chest and waist, Mika quickly tried to push him away but if Alo did let go, he would end up on the floor. Alo kept a hold of Mika until he finally calmed down enough to stand up properly. When Mika started walking again, Alo could see he was in pain and he asked quietly.

"Are you okay to get to the living room? I can carry you if you're too tired."

Mika kept his teary gaze on the floor while he answered through a tight jaw.

"...I'm fine."

Alo said a sad okay before turning around to enter the kitchen, hearing Nakai call out to him. Zhang was entering the kitchen from the living room because Nakai had also called out to him, and they could see Wang Bao was sitting at the table, his eyes red from the tears he had just shed. Zhang wanted to ask what had happened, but before he could, Nakai started talking seriously.