Chapter Ninety Two

The sky was completely black when the car drove up to the palace, the vehicle carried on slowly through a gravel driveway until it couldn't go any further. Wang Lei gave one last order to allow the driver to settle in for the night before getting out. Small warm lanterns lit the way through a small stone pathway all the way to the late King's tomb. Wang Lei was expecting to be the only one visiting so late at night but once he was close enough, he could hear the murmurs of another man talking. Wang Lei quietened his steps as he walked off the path, once he reached the wall of the tomb, he found that the voice belonged to Wang Xei.

"Sorry I didn't come by last night Father, I was out of the palace. All I've been able to think about lately is Bao and it's driving me crazy. Every night I want to barge into his room and steal him away, take him to some remote area where no one has ever been before. I would even raise that child in his stomach as my own. For some reason, something keeps stopping me though and I don't know what it is."

Wang Lei leaned against the cold stone as he listened to his older brother's talk, he could hear Wang Xei move around as he talked and wondered what the man was doing when he felt his arm being pulled. Wang Xei yanked Wang Lei to the front entrance before pinning him to the wall, the lanterns below them gave the man's face an evil look to him but it didn't scare Wang Lei, instead he was annoyed and shoved Wang Xei away.

"Don't you know how to treat a King?"

"I don't see a King."

Wang Lei brushed off the dirt and dust from his clothing while glaring at Wagn Xei, his voice threatening.

"That sort of talk could get you imprisoned."

"I know you wouldn't do that. Why are you visiting Father tonight?"

Both men walked into the tomb, Wang Lei hadn't visited the tomb since returning and the last time he had stepped foot in the place was the night before he left, Wang Lei felt a lump in his throat as he remembered how he begged his Father to forgive him for not being strong enough or smart enough to realise the wickedness of his Mother. Wang Lei stared at the stone rectangle in the middle of the room where his Father was buried, he was so silent that not even his breathing could be heard. Wang Xei didn't speak either and they looked at the grave sadly. After some time, Wang Xei whispered quietly as if not to disturb the man who was in an eternal slumber.

"He was the only person I could trust. I had no one else my whole life."

Wang Lei's voice was plain as he stated something he only knew about his Brother.

"You don't really love me or Bao in the way you think. All you want is a family since you never had one."

En. Wang Xei hummed as if he already knew. The room fell into another silence with only the sound of the cold breeze coming in through the entrance way. Wang Lei didn't think he had ever had such a peaceful moment with Wang Xei before and he felt the moment was quite nice. Before he could get too attached to the moment, Wang Xei opened his mouth.

"I hear Nakai will be seeing Mother tomorrow, do you want me to keep Bao company? It's been awhile since I saw him."

Wang Lei spun on his heel and slapped Wang Xei's arm.

"Can't you find someone who isn't related to us?"

Wang Xei laughed loudly before turning around to head outside, his voice carrying over his shoulder while he walked away.

"I'm just joking, I've already got my eyes on someone else. Don't worry, they're not related to us, at least I don't think they are."

Wang Lei shook his head heavily as he watched the last of his Brother's silhouette fade away into the night. When Wang Lei turned back around to face his Father, he hesitated walking forward before finally taking a step, his voice was a little thick as he ran his hand along the cold stone in which his Father was encased.