Chapter Thirty Two

In the mud room, Nakai wrapped Wang Bao up in another layer of outerwear because of the weather, then they set off outside to go hunt and gather. Nakai led them through the back snow covered yard and into the forest, pulling a small wooden sled to carry everything he caught. Under the dense trees, the ground was less covered in snow, making it easier for Wang Bao to walk. Above their heads, sitting in the tall trees, a flock of round black birds sang sweet songs. Nakai stopped walking before aiming towards the tree tops with his pistol. Wang Bao tried to see what Nakai was aiming at, but he could only see the birds when their black feathered bodies fell to the ground with heavy thuds; the birds were large and weighty but they would need more if they wanted to sustain everyone. After Nakai placed the ten birds in a plastic container on the sled, he started walking through the forest again. The atmosphere was rather warm despite the bitterly cold air. Wang Bao enjoyed spending time like this with Nakai, and he held onto Nakai's arm while they walked deeper into the woods. After walking for close to an hour, they finally found some winter berries and wild greens. Nakai pointed at some plants nearby before pointing to a large tree he could see in the distance, explaining to Wang Bao as he did.

"Walk around this area and use that plum tree as a marker. You may need to wipe the snow away to find more food. I'm going to go up the mountain to see if there are any wild beasts, if you run into any trouble just call out."

Wang Bao hummed as he crouched down and started picking the wild cabbage they had found. Seeing Wang Bao picking vegetables in the snow made Nakai feel as if he was looking at a winter fairy, and he smiled to himself before walking off.

. . . . . .

Back at the house, Alo removed the dead bodies from the upstairs bedroom, and ditched them in the woods where the other buyers had been dumped. Luka and Mika didn't move from their kitchen seats; when Alo came back inside, they watched carefully as he filled the large sink with hot soapy water. Alo was good at reading a room, and he could feel how weary the two young men behind him were. While he washed the large pile of dishes, Alo occasionally glanced to his right at Luka and Mika, talking about himself to try and ease the tension.

"We haven't been properly introduced. I'm Alo; I'm from the Valley down the mountain, but I haven't lived there for a while now... I've also known Nakai for almost fifteen years... I have a twin sister called Ala, you'll probably meet her tomorrow.... I think that's everything about me?"

Luka warmed up to Alo once he had opened up a little, and walked over to the bench where the wet dishes were, his small height only reaching the base of Alo's chest. Luka quietly picked up a wet bowl and began drying it before setting it onto a dry section of the counter. Mika refused to move or speak, all he could do was clench his fist silently. Alo didn't push Mika to do anything he wasn't comfortable with though, and he continued washing the dishes. By the time the kitchen was clean and the dishes had been put away, lunchtime was rolling around. Mika still hadn't moved a muscle but Alo could see he was fidgeting, tears in his eyes. Luka sat opposite his brother again, trying to get an answer out of Mika but he was given the silent treatment. Alo wanted to start on lunch but seeing how odd Mika was behaving, he crouched down and whispered.

"Is everything okay? You can tell me if you need anything."

Mika looked down at his lap, a hint of shame evident on his face before mumbling to Alo.

"I-I need....to use the bathroom....but I can't walk yet."

Alo paused and looked at Luka, there was no way the small boy could help his brother. Alo didn't move at first either, instead he lowered his voice to ask.

"I'm going to carry you, is that okay?"

Mika stiffened but nodded. Once Mika gave the okay, Alo moved closer. Alo gently lifted Mika in a bridal style from the wooden chair, and he saw there was a patch of blood left on the seat. The motion of being carried made Mika shut his eyes in pain, but there was nothing else he could do if he wanted to go to the bathroom. Alo didn't say anything when he saw the blood, and he quickly walked to the first floor bathroom. In the kitchen, Luka cleaned the chair silently. Once the bathroom door was open, Mika asked Alo to put him down and he clutched the sink firmly while walking to the toilet. Alo didn't want to embarrass Mika, but he couldn't leave him in a bloody robe. As Mika made his way to the toilet, Alo stepped into the room, speaking softly.