Chapter Fifty Four

Wang Bao hadn't been sitting long when he saw Alo come through the front of the carriage. Moving to the seat across the aisle, the small group resumed their seating arrangement from before. This helped keep Mika calm once he woke up, and it wasn't until they reached the next stop, three hours later that he realised they had moved to the very back of the train. While passengers emptied then filled the train again, Mika looked around with an odd expression, and he quietly asked Alo.

"When did we move seats?"

Alo was grateful Mika had calmed down enough to talk with him, but he didn't want to alarm Mika by telling him the truth, in case it made Mika worse than before. Instead Alo told Mika a small white lie to keep him calm.

"The other carriage became too full; it's better when there are less people around us."

Mika quickly agreed and he leaned back in his chair, looking out the window at the frosty countryside. Wang Bao was also busy looking out at the frosted view, but his mind was focused on Nakai, hoping he was okay. The only time Nakai wasn't on his mind was when they would pull into the next train station. The sight of the large crowd of people was enough to make Wang Bao's heart race anxiously, and he continuously avoided people's gaze, as if they were part of the manhunt. As the train slowly pulled away, Wang Bao moved his gaze back to the window until he felt Alo tap his shoulder gently. Looking over, Wang Bao heard Alo say in a quiet whisper.

"We're halfway to the border now, Bao. We will be getting off one stop earlier though, so it's best if you get some sleep now."

To show he had heard Alo, Wang Bao hummed quietly before turning back to his window. He wasn't in the mood to sleep, but without realising he drifted off to sleep while watching the dense snow covered fields change to green.

. . . . . . .

It was two uncomfortable hours for Nakai until the bus pulled into their first rest stop. Despite being uncomfortable and stiff, both Nakai and Luka stayed inside the bus while Zhang ventured out to find some food. Nakai wanted to keep as low of a profile as he could until it was absolutely necessary to get out of the bus, while Luka wasn't in the mood to walk around. Once Zhang walked back into the bus, there was still fifteen minutes remaining of their time at the rest stop, and Zhang unzipped his heavy backpack that he had stuffed with pre packed sandwiches and filled rolls. Luka was more than starving, and he took the three thick sandwiches Zhang was handing him with quick hands, then ripped the plastic wrapping off a creamy egg sandwich. While Zhang handed Nakai three sandwiches and five filled rolls, leaving him three filled rolls. The simple but filling meal was eaten in silence, before Zhang took his phone out to pull up a map of the bus route. Zhang pinched across his phone screen a few times until he finally found their current location, then started explaining to Nakai as he followed the highlighted route.

"We are currently still in L City. It will take another six hours before we arrive in a small town for our next rest stop. If we can, it would be best if we find another means of transport like a car since we risk being sighted or tailed in the bus."

With one hand holding his roll, Nakai motioned with his free hand for Zhang to hand over his phone; as soon as Nakai saw the long journey ahead, causing him to click his tongue from annoyance. Nakai would much rather be in a car than a bus for the majority of the long journey if he had to choose between the two, but the risk of not finding a vehicle was high in such a rural area. While Nakai handed Zhang his phone, he asked.

"Will there be a place to get a vehicle in the next town? If not, we'll be on the bus for five hours until the next stop."

There was no definitive answer Zhang could give, and he shrugged his shoulders lightly while saying.