Chapter Twenty Two

After breakfast the sky continued to darken but Nakai still took Wang Bao to the top deck to train. Rara had tried to follow but was stopped by his Mother since it was getting too cold. On the top deck Nakai had something different in mind, and he stood in place with his hands behind his head. Wang Bao gave the Giant an odd look before he heard him say.

"You need to get better at closed fist fighting as well as using your legs. I want you to practise on me while I move around slowly. Don't be afraid to hit me as hard as you can, you're not strong enough to hurt me."

Wang Bao couldn't help but snicker at the remark, and quickly planted his feet with his left foot in front. Nakai guided Wang Bao to bend his right leg when lifting, before straightening it as he rotated his hips to kick. Wang Bao tried to kick with his right leg, but lost his balance the first few times because he was kicking too slow. Nakai never lost patience, instead he kept giving Wang Bao small tips to help him improve.

"You want to lift your back leg then rotate your hips. Focus on speed in order to add power to your kick. Don't think about your posture, we can fix that later on."

Wang Bao tried again and his foot was able to hit Nakai's side but there was no power. Seeing that Wang Bao wasn't getting much better, Nakai made him switch legs before they tried again. Wang Bao's left leg ended up being his more dominant side, but Nakai made sure they kept switching in order to strengthen both legs. After an hour, Wang Bao could land a decent side kick and they moved on to front kicks. Wang Bao's legs were burning, causing his kicks to land low. Before Wang Bao's foot could land on Nakai's crotch, Nakai caught the foot mid air. Wang Bao could see the warning glare in Nakai's deep green eyes, then his foot was let go. Instead of getting back to training, Wang Bao spoke sarcastically .

"I thought I wasn't strong enough to hurt you."

Nakai rolled his eyes then told Wang Bao to move onto punching, while Wang Bao would throw punches, Nakai would move around to get Wang Bao used to a moving target. All of Wang Bao's punches were aimed around Nakai's mid and lower stomach because of their height difference, but like Nakai had said, his punches never caused any damage. Wang Bao couldn't even get a grunt out of Nakai. After another half hour, Wang Bao's arms began to tire and he let his arms drop down. His face was red despite the cold weather and he couldn't stop from sounding whiny as he said.

"Let's take a break. I can barely keep my arms up."

Nakai knew Wang Bao was tired but he didn't relent and replied with a serious voice.

"Go back to kicking if your arms are tired."

Wang Bao wanted to say his legs were tired too but he went back into his stance and started kicking Nakai's sides, alternating legs after every kick. It wasn't long until small raindrops hit Wang Bao's face and he looked up, the dark clouds had finally caught up to them and the wind had picked up as well. Wang Bao tried to use this as an excuse to stop, but Nakai only shook his head, carrying on with the lesson. Ignoring Wang Bao's childish whine, Nakai said.

"This time, take two steps back after every front kick is landed. You need to be able to move freely after kicking. Make sure to move on the ball of your feet."

Wang Bao wiped the water from his face bitterly and kicked forward, his steps back were stiff and awkward making him uncoordinated. Nakai made him do it again without the kick in order to get the motion right, and Wang Bao found he could move easier. Although his ability to learn was quickening, Wang Bao's body was still weaker than a trained fighter and his legs were close to becoming jelly. After kicking for so long, Wang Bao became lazy and when moving backwards his feet tripped over each other. Before he could fall Nakai grabbed both of Wang Bao's wrists, pulling him upright and into his chest. The two of them hadn't noticed earlier, but the rain had turned from a light drizzle to pouring down, saturating their bodies. The boat also began to rock from side to side with more momentum. Wang Bao rested his forehead against Nakai's chest to catch his breath, he could feel the warmth of Nakai's body because of how close they were. Nakai slowly put Wang Bao's hands down before speaking over the loud rain.