Chapter Forty Two

Nakai noticed the odd look on the doctor's face, and he turned Wang Bao's face towards him while she yelled to the intern to bring her another scalpel and spray. Nakai's eyes instantly darkened when he saw Wang Bao's gash next to his temple had migrated somehow and whatever poison he had been infected with was slowly eating away his flesh. Nakai could see Wang Bao's scalp as well as the muscle heading down the side of Wang Bao's head. However, the flesh itself wasn't read like usual, it was darker as if somehow Wang Bao's flesh had been burnt severely. The intern rushed around quickly before handing over a pair of tweezers and scalpel, in his own hand was two spray bottles. The doctor was able to work faster than the rate of the wound expanding, and while she sliced away burning slithers of flesh, the intern sprayed over the large hole that had been created in the side of Wang Bao's head. Wang Bao was partially awake but his body was too weak to fight off the people cutting into his flesh.

Nakai continued to kneel beside Wang Bao, caressing his sweaty forehead to try and calm him. Once the intern started spraying the medicine over Wang Bao's wound though, Wang Bao started to whine and cry quietly. Before any tears could fall through Wang Bao's closed eyes, Nakai gently wiped them away before whispering in his ear.

"Wang Bao, can you hear me?"

At first Wang Bao continued to whine from the pain in his head but when he finally caught wind of Nakai's voice, he forced his eyes to open a little but his gaze was unfocused. Although his arms felt like lead, Wang Bao lifted the hand closest to Nakai and tried to rub his cheek while saying Nakai's name in a weak voice. Nakai quickly held Wang Bao's hand in his own, he could feel Wang Bao's hands were like ice and he gently rubbed over the slender fingers.

With the last of the infection cut out, the doctor grabbed a small spray canister and started spraying over the large wound that took over the side of Wang Bao's head. There was no hair insight on his injured side since it had been either eaten or away by the infection or cut away by the doctor. Once Wang Bao's entire wound was covered, the intern took all of their tools away while the doctor slumped her shoulders tiredly. Nakai also relaxed his jaw that he had unknowingly been clenching; he leaned over Wang Bao gently, wanting to get a look at the paste covering Wang Bao's wound, and he found he could see through the black paste. At first he wasn't sure, but after watching for thirty seconds, Nakai could see some of the shallow cuts knitting back together. Nakai had never seen medicine like this before and he slowly stood up from the floor before facing the doctor.

On the trolley beside the bed, the doctor was picking up chunks of Wang Bao's black flesh and placing them inside five test tubes. Once Alo's and Wang Bao's samples were labelled, she took her gloves off and nodded towards Alo beside her while saying.

"That beast should be healed by tomorrow since his wounds weren't that bad. This man over here though, it's hard to say. If I hadn't checked his injury then he most likely would have ended up in a coma or dead."

On the inside, Nakai's chest felt a heavy load but he didn't have any time to work through his feelings since he was thrown a flannel, just like Mika had been. While Nakai and Mika slowly wiped down Wang Bao and Alo, Zhang and Luka were given a room to stay in. Once Mika was finished, the intern asked if he wanted to be shown to his room, but since Luka would be bunking with Zhang, he refused and settled for the hard chair beside Alo's bed and waited for their meals to be brought in. After the hearty breakfast of eggs on top of grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, Nakai was glad to see both the doctor and intern finally leave the room. He felt they had been hovering around Wang Bao too long, and now that the room was quiet he could think a little easier.

Sitting beside Wang Bao, Nakai kept his watchful eyes on Wang Bao. Mika was the same, though he would drift in and out of sleep during the day. Nakai was tired as well, but he had noticed Wang Bao would mutter in his sleep every now and then, and he didn't want to miss anything that was being said. By the next morning, Nakai's eyes were dry from the stale air in the medical bay, and he heard Alo groan quietly before sitting up. Nakai didn't say anything as Alo stretched his arms with another grunt before he lifted his left arm, inspecting the freshly healed claw marks on his ribs. He was surprised to see the wound had healed to three pink lines, and he doubted the wound would scar once it was done healing. After putting his arm down, Alo saw Mika was curled up in a ball on a chair beside him, and he heard Nakai speak in a quiet voice\.