Chapter Fifty Six

By mid morning, Luka's legs were sore to the point of agony, and they could see the main street of a small rural town in the distance. They had been walking without breaks for a few hours, and when they finally reached the main street, Nakai kept his promise to Luka and pointed out a small run down diner for them to eat at. Their breakfast wasn't anything special with both Nakai's and Zhang's scrambled eggs being rubbery, their toast burnt and their steak a little too bloody. As for Luka, his high stack of pancakes were decent enough, but the fresh fruit that was promised were clearly canned, and the syrup was watery. Despite the lacklustre meal, everyone sat quietly and ate their plates clean. Once the meal was done, Luka sipped on his warm juice while Zhang and Nakai discussed their next plan quietly.

Because the town consisted mainly of paddocks and one main street, Nakai doubted their ability to find a vehicle that would take them the rest of the way, and mentioned they would most likely need to walk to the next town. If they had to walk, it would take away the time they had been able to cut down on their trip, adding at least another day to the already three day journey. Hearing that they would most likely be walking for the remainder of the day, Luka couldn't help but complain loudly.

"I don't wanna walk~ Whenever we start walking, my feet feel like they're about to fall off!"

Just as Luka finished complaining, their waitress walked over to clear their table. She had heard everything Luka said, and stopped picking up their dirty dishes to ask Luka in a honey laced voice.

"Oh Darling, what a sour face. You must have been travelling a long while to end up looking so upset after a good meal."

Seeing that the waitress was talking to him, Luka leaned in closer to Zhang. He didn't know what would be safe to say, and decided it would be best if he stayed quiet. On the other side of the table, Nakai wanted to use the opportunity of their waitress being extra nice in their favour. Softening his voice to match the waitress, Nakai spoke a little about their hardship.

"We've been travelling for a while now, and when we were passing by our car suddenly broke down. We were just talking about a way to get a car, but we could only come up with a plan to walk to the next town."

The waitress' face instantly fell once she heard of their issue, and she thought to herself while turning to look into the kitchen through the serving hatch. Nakai followed her gaze, but couldn't figure out why she would look in the kitchen's direction. When the waitress turned back a few seconds later, Nakai could see her expression had changed slightly; her expression making her appear almost too caring about their situation as she said.

"That's really unfortunate...You know I have a friend who was supposed to be passing through today. I could give em' a ring and see if they haven't already left town. It would be bad for the three of you to be stranded with nowhere to go."

Nakai looked back at the waitress with a composed expression, but from the look in her eyes he could sense something was off with her offer. Before Nakai's silence could linger, the waitress stepped back, to look his large frame up and down with a sweet yet curious gaze, before she said.

"Say, you're quite big. We don't see many large werebeasts coming through here. What bloodline do you come from darling?"

Hearing the waitress' question, everyone at the table knew she was overstepping her hospitality, and despite seeing the look on Zhang's face, telling him to stop conversing, Nakai answered her in a plain voice.

"Elephant."

The waitress' eye widened from gleeful shock, and he stepped closer to Nakai, touching his large arm while replying in a bright voice.