Chapter Twenty Three

In the afternoon, Wang Bao and Nakai played with Rara instead of training because of the weather. After dinner, Rara wandered off with his Mother. Although he didn't need to wash the dishes, thanks to the crew, Wang Bao was the last to leave because he wanted to make snacks for Rara. He still felt guilty for letting the little boy starve, and he felt that the only proper way to make up for it was to make it so Rara couldn't go hungry. After wrapping the muffins separately with plastic wrap, Wang Bao quickly cleaned his mess then walked out of the room. The storm had now reached its peak and the ship started to sway violently, Wang Bao had to hold onto the metal walls as he tried to walk back to his room, hoping to get there without falling. Through the window next to him, Wang Bao saw bright streaks of lightning flash through the black sky. Within a split second loud booming thunder sounded over the ship, and Rara ran after Wang Bao on wobbly legs, tears streaming down his plump cheeks while he shouted.

"Waah~ Brother~"

Before Rara could reach Wang Bao, the boat leaned to the right dramatically, causing both Wang Bao and Rara to fall over. They both fell into the metal wall, and Rara screamed before he cried louder, Wang Bao struggled to pick his own body up then worked on lifting Rara off of the ground. Looking at the direction Rara had come from, he spoke in a serious voice.

"You should be in bed with your Mother, why did you run out of bed?"

Rara roughly wiped his crying eyes that continued to spill tears, shouting at Wang Bao angrily.

"I want to sleep with brother~ Waah~"

To make things worse, another flash of lightning shone brightly followed by a loud thunderous boom. The sound was so loud that it caused Wang Bao to jump, which only made Rara cry harder. Wang Bao tightened his grip on Rara while he pressed his other hand on the wall he was leaning on. His steps were similar to a baby and he wobbled from side to side, the view of the bedroom door in front of him. Seeing Wang Bao walk helped Rara calm down enough to stop crying and screaming, instead he snuggled into Wang Bao's neck. Suddenly the ship tipped to the other side, throwing Wang Bao down the other hallway just as he had reached his bedroom door. Making sure to land on his back to prevent Rara from being injured, Wang Bao slid down the hallway until he reached the end wall with a thud. The fall had scared Rara so much that he started crying again. All of the dorm doors quickly opened at once, and the crewmates all saw Wang Bao's sorry situation.

A werebeast named Dani was in the first room, he held onto his door frame and stretched his arm out to Wang Bao. By taking his arm, Wang Bao was able to get up and stand on his wobbly legs. Dani looked behind him and everyone else got into the same position. With a firm arm around his waist, Wang Bao slowly walked forward to the other dorm room where Liu was waiting. The man pointed at Wang Bao's legs before saying.

"Bend your knees and tighten your stomach, if you feel the ship tip, step back with one foot and lean against the motion."

Wang Bao tightened his grip on Rara while he was passed from Dani's arm to Liu's. He quickly changed his stance and felt a little more secure. When Wang Bao stepped towards the next room, he nodded towards both men, saying warmly.

"Thank you. I guess everyone on the ship would be used to this sort of thing."

Despite the cold weather, the crew couldn't help but feel warm by Wang Bao's gentleness. Once Wang Bao had been passed to the next cabin, the ship tipped forward and Wang Bao leant back against the force, allowing his body to stay upright. Slowly, Wang Bao and Rara were passed down the row of rooms, but before he could reach Manu's room beside his and Nakai's, Manu banged on the closed door. Nakai quickly opened the door and peered down the hallway. The moment Rara saw Nakai, he reached his chubby arms with a red face from all the crying, with more tears threatening to fall. Nakai's arms were long enough to reach Rara and he pulled the scared toddler out of Wang Bao's grip. Wang Bao could move easier with the weight gone from his arms and he walked into Manu's arms. Before heading into his room, Wang Bao looked back at the crew with a grateful smile and said.