54.

{.54. January blues}

Smut warning

January was coming to a close and the boys could see Ally withdraw into herself more each day

January was coming to a close and the boys could see Ally withdraw into herself more each day. Remus hadn't heard her belly laugh since before Christmas and it was a while since she genuinely smiled when Sirius transformed into Padfoot. They knew it was the grief, but it was hard watching the girl that they had all grown to love just lose her sparkle.

They didn't know what they could do. James had been speaking to Lily — whose parents had been involved in the cokeworth incident — and Lily said that people grieve in different ways and maybe Ally's way was to become more reserved. James thought this was likely but it didn't mean that he had to like the idea of his sister becoming reserved.

Remus had tried to encourage her to talk but the only things that she seemed interested in talking about were Remus or their school work. She didn't want to talk about being at home, her dad, Hogsmeade or anything. It was hard for him to see the girl that he loved just fade into a state of sadness like that and just not be herself but he didn't know what he could do to help her.

Toby and Luke had felt the same. They had asked Perseus what they could do to maybe try and help Ally but he had no suggestions as he said sometimes Ally would just come to them on her own accord. She didn't like to be pestered. However, they thought that she did need to be pestered in this case because she was self-sabotaging and it was breaking the people around hers hearts.

Ally was currently reading Jane Eyre and she was cuddled into a window seat up in the astronomy tower looking out at the quidditch field. She knew that she was worrying her friends but the feeling she had in her chest was consuming her. She didn't like the feeling that her body was so incredibly heavy that she couldn't carry it. She didn't like feeling as if she couldn't hear people talking about their parents without wanting to choke on a sob, because she'd never ever have that again.

Her magic was going crazy too, she was telling people to be quiet and they were. She was thinking that she didn't want people to be near her and by the time she had run her hand through her hair the corridor had cleared. She didn't know how and she didn't know if she'd ever get answers either.

She hadn't spoken to anybody about it because she didn't want to bother them but she knew that she needed to. She couldn't think about talking to people about what was bothering her. However, her priority was that she just needed to get through these last few months of school and focus her work on re-applying for the Ministry and starting her teaching training. Everything else could get placed on the back burner for the time being.

She had decided to shadow Perseus for the time being because he said that at least they had an option for her to have a career path. She didn't particularly want to become a teacher but it was evident that the ministry didn't want to take her on so she felt like she had no other choice but to go down the teaching route. Luckily, she liked arithmancy enough to want to pursue it as a teacher but she hated the thought that she wouldn't ever get a job as an arithmancy teacher in Hogwarts. She wasn't about to steal her brothers' job right from under his nose was she?