𝘿𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝘽𝙚𝙣𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙤 - 𝘴𝘰𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦

[ any reader ]

Upon reaching the door and pulling it open, Donna lifts the black veil when she discovers you are the person who'd beckoned her from her slumber. She notices the way your frail body trembles, but not because of the icy winds.

Crimson droplets stained on your clothes and sticking to your goosebump-ridden skin. You jerk your head upwards to gaze at the woman, face blanched as you open your mouth to explain. To speak up for showing up on her doorstep in the middle of the night, painted with another man's blood.

"I didn't...he wouldn't stop—wouldn't listen he wouldn't—" you stare down at your hands. "I had to." Your voice quavers. "I had to."

Without a word, Donna gently holds your wrists and guides you into the house, closing the door behind you. An arm wraps around your quivering figure, your steps towards the table small and unsteady.

Donna helps you into a seat, gazing sympathetically now that the light cascades over your fragile form. You stare at your hands in disbelief. Scarred with murder. Inked with another person's life.

It was self defence. It was him or you.

"Wait here." She speaks softly, leaving you for a moment to pick out some spare clothes and a towel.

When she returns, you're stood over the sink roughly scrubbing the fabric covering your body, murmuring incoherently to yourself. You move to your hands when the stains fail to budge, clawing at the ruby red skin. But the blood there doesn't leave either.

So you press harder. Tears blur your vision, the sea of red merging into one large blob that you struggle to wipe away. You grasp the sponge and drag it harshly along your wrists, releasing broken sobs as it burns your delicate skin.

Hands envelope yours and you snivel, glancing up at Donna. Droplets weigh heavy on your lashes, trailing down your flushed cheeks when you blink.

Her movements are slow and caring as she takes the sponge from you, dipping it into the water before pressing it to your right hand, carefully moving it back and forth.

You follow her gentle movements, frowning as the blood begins to disappear. She does the same with your other hand, washing every every speck of blood in sight. After wringing the sponge, she brings it to your cheek and delicately cleans the few specks that you weren't aware of.

Soon your skin is pristine and dry, with Donna helping you out of your ruined clothes and into clean ones. She offers a light smile that soothes your nerves.

Footsteps patter as Angie skips through the house and beams up at Donna, tilting her head when she brings a finger to her lips. Flickering between the two of you, she raises her tiny hand to wave at you. You timidly wave back, thankful that she doesn't expect a verbal response.

Donna takes your hand, curling an arm around you again while slowly leading you upstairs. You lean into her embrace, scanning the bedroom and lowering yourself into the bed. Donna lights a single candle to rid the darkness for your sake, raising the covers over you which you tightly clutch.

Angie races under the bed and climbs up onto Donna's lap, opening her arms and sending you a questioning look. You move the covers back slightly and she slips under them, smiling at Donna when you cuddle the doll.

The Lord remains seated on the edge, running her fingers through your hair. Your hand settles on the pillow and Angie's smaller one holds onto your thumb.

"Rest. You are safe here."