𝘿𝙖𝙣𝙞𝙚𝙡𝙖 𝙭 𝘾𝙖𝙨𝙨𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙧𝙖 - 𝘨𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴 .𝟑

[ male reader ]

Gruff voices intertwine with hoarse belly laughter, dirty hands slapping backs in appreciation for the humorous jokes slurred in the spur of the moment. A young boy dressed alike with the workers stands on his chair, sky blue eyes fixated on the figures approaching the doors.

"Shit."

Tubby hands pry the doors open. Suddenly the tavern is overrun by silence, each person rising from their seats and drawing their guns in tandem. He sneers down his nose.

Harry retrieves the firearm secured under the bar and sets it atop the mahogany surface, brows slightly raised as if to warn him. Regarding the unwanted presence with obvious distaste.

"I see my name reaches even the slums." He's brimming with amusement. Guns follow him over to the bar where the bartender stares him down with unwavering confidence.

Oily, coal black hair slicked back from his round face, a match to the combed hair above his thin lips. The moments of stillness allows Harry to catch the heavy breathing. The hint of struggle behind every breath.

"Whiskey."

Harry purses his lips at the lack of manners but sets a clean, crystal cut glass in front of him and pours the drink regardless. Years of bartending has toughened his skin. To expect manners in a world that refuses to understand the meaning of politeness is futile.

It's dead silent. A pin dropping could be heard loud and clear as he gulps down the drink with an unashamed, satisfied exhale, bringing the glass down with a thunk. He stares expectedly. Harry tilts the bottle to refill it.

Bulky fingers curl around the glass, unkind eyes staring at the reflection in the brown liquid. His handful of men smirk down the barrels of loaded guns.

A chime from the bell above the door. It brings a hidden smile to his face as footsteps move across creaky floorboards.

"I got your letter." Comes his cocky tone. "Hello again old friend." Downing the drink with a loud gulp, he then turns to face you and your brother and the handful of men accompanying you both.

Ronnie cracks his fingers and knuckles, nose scrunching from the glower his face wears. You have your hands in your trouser pockets. Icy gaze cutting through him to freeze the pride he felt prior to your arrival.

"So wonderful to be in your company again after so many years. Tell me, what has become of my old friend Charles?"

"Rotting away in the cells."

"Shame." Fingers tap his rotund belly. "Every man can be replaced. I heard business hasn't been too adequate recently. A little difficult to conduct business with a bullet bleeding you dry."

"We did just fine."

"For now. I promise it will only get worse for you. I plan to settle here. Perhaps I'll start a business of my own, I have many ideas. We could be partners just like the old days. What do you say Ronnie?"

"Fuck off."

"Maybe some other time."

With a squeak the door to the side room is opened. Your tongue swipes across your lips once Daniela and Cassandra pause in the doorway, holding each other's hands upon catching his gaze. How it sparkles upon them. Like rare gems discovered in endless mountains of charred dirt.