𝘿𝙖𝙣𝙞𝙚𝙡𝙖 𝘿𝙞𝙢𝙞𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙘𝙪 - 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 .𝟐

[ female reader ]

"Can I get you something to drink?" You break the silence in half, slowly making your way over to the couch.

"Already taken care of thank you." He gestures for you to take a seat. You lower beside Dean whose leg begins to bounce up and down, placing your handbag by your feet.

He makes himself comfortable in the armchair, offering up a seemingly friendly smile. "I've been asked to take on a missing persons case." You almost hold your breath. "The person in question is Marcus Lord. He was reported missing three weeks ago today."

"Like I already explained, we don't know much."

"Mr Beaumont if you don't mind, I'd like to hear from your wife now."

"I don't know if I'll be of use here, I didn't even know he was missing. He mentioned taking time off work to figure things out but he didn't say much else on the matter."

"From what I've gathered so far it seems like you were the last person to see him."

A befuddled smileー faux innocence. "Me?"

"His wife, Gina, mentioned him wanting to stay with you both. She hasn't heard from him since. I find it strange that a man like him just upped and left."

"That was brought up but I told him I had to put my children first. We're dealing with our own issues at the moment. Not only is there no room here for another person, we're trying really hard to keep things as normal as possible for their sake. No one wants to grow up listening to their parents arguing all the time."

"You're having arguments?"

"Everyone makes mistakes." Dean utters without looking up from his hands. The way you fumble with your ring speaks louder than words. Turner simply nods. Eyes, curious, colour similar to fresh coffee grounds first thing in the morning, refer to notes and statements in his pocketbook.

"Did Marcus seem frightened when he last spoke to you?"

"No. No, I don't think so. He mostly vented about the divorce process and the problems they'd been having. I tried my best to help but it kind of seemed like his mind was made up." A shoulder shrug and a glance to Dean who nods in agreement.

"Meaning?"

"I told him to try making an effort if he wants things to work out but he said it was pointless. I think he'd already accepted it. He said he had nothing keeping him here. Maybe he's visiting friends or something?"

"Maybe." Another glance at the scribbled cursive. "Thank you for your time. Here's my card if you think of anything else or if you happen to witness something. I'll keep in touch."

You can't bring yourself to respond. It's almost like he pushed the words out against his will. Why would he leave so soon?

"I'll walk you out." Dean offers.

You're glued to the sofa. Staring at the unlit fireplace as they bid each other goodbye and let the door stand between them. Dean sighs, dropping to your right this time.