𝙆𝙖𝙧𝙡 𝙃𝙚𝙞𝙨𝙚𝙣𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙜 - 𝘨𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘺

[ any reader ]

While Karl toils away to fix one of his robots, you stare at him intently, still toying with the random length of copper wire you found on his desk.

"Did you know—"

"Yes."

"You don't know what I was going to say."

"I almost always do."

"Well not this time," you insist.

"Alright," he holds out his hand, "continue."

"Did you know that I get this feeling in my chest whenever I see you?" He frowns. "Like when you walk into a room I feel kind of giddy. Have you ever had that?"

"No."

"You've never had it? Where your heart skips a beat and races really quickly, and you feel sort of lightheaded and you have butterflies in your stomach?" He gives you a dumbfounded look. "That's how I feel every time I look at you. But a good lightheaded; not the bad kind. You take my breath away."

"Are you describing a heart attack?"

"What? No."

"It sounds like a heart attack."

"I was trying to have a cute moment and you ruined it."

"How is a heart attack cute?"

"It's not!"

"Then why did you say it was?!"

"Oh my god," you hide your face in your hands. You can practically hear Alcina's voice in your head grumbling 'men' as she rolls her eyes.

"So I give you a heart attack?"

"No!"

"Shortness of breath, heart problems, feeling lightheaded, this doesn't sound at all concerning to you?"

"No because I meant it in a cute way."

"...I don't follow."

"Forget it."

You stare at the blueprints for new soldats, unaware of the few minutes of silence that pass by. Warmth suddenly spreads across your chest.

"Wha—Karl what are you doing?"

"I'm checking your pulse."

"And your hand needs to be on my chest for that? You know I have other pulse points."

"Gotta be quick. A heart attack could strike at any moment."

"Oh for—" you slap his hand away, "I think I'd know if I was having a heart attack!"

"Doesn't hurt to check." He reaches out again but you slap his hand away. "I wanna make sure you're alright," he defends with a shrug, "can't have you dropping dead on me. I'd be severely distraught without you."

"You would not."

"You're right I wouldn't, but we can pretend."

"Okay." You roll your eyes and walk away.